feeling drained what can i do?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, I have an underactive thyroid and have been taking levothyroxine and I still get really spaced out especially after eating. I'm currently feeling terrible like i have lost my sense of myself where I am so drained. Does anyone else have experience of feeling like this? Is there anything I can do other than take medication to have more energy?

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I also get that spaced out feeling from time to time, I now take the levothyroxine at night which is better for me as the side effects are less during the day. You could try taking them last thing at night and see if it makes a difference, it has for me. Good luck.
  • Posted

I was exactly the same on levothyroxine and changed to NDT.My Dr will not prescribe it so  I self medicate and have got my life back.I am seeing an endocrinologist next week for the first time to see if she will give it to me on the NHS but that is very unlikely.My Dr admits that he knows nothing about it but listens to what I say and is prepared to do the necessary blood tests for me.
  • Posted

NDT is natural dessicated thyroid which was used before levothyroxine was ever invented.NDT has T4 T3 T2 T1 where levothyroxine only has T4 which your body has to convert to T3.Some of us with UAT can not convert it ourselves.I was on it for 4 years and was also on antidepressants morphine patches,had high BP and CHolesterol none of which were helping but since changing to NDT my BP is down ,my good cholesterol has gone up and I have come off the antidepressants and .morphine patches.I can walk up stairs again one foot after the other and kneel down things that were impossible for me for about 10 yrs.My Dr is impressed but like I said knows nothing about NDT therefore I am hoping that when I see the Endo next week she will read what my Dr says and allow me to have it on the NHS.The problem is that Levothyroxine costs about £4 per patient per month and NDT is much dearer  and once diagnosed your medicated for lifeLook on Facebook for THyroid problems uk they have aPatient to Patient Advice & Support group you can join and they are all people with thyroid problems who will give you all the support you need,there is always someone on there that has had what you are concerned about healthwise to do with the many aspects of thyroid disease.They are more than happy to listen and tell you what they have found out through personal experience.You have to join the group but its well worth it.Hope this helps you.I have found out over time that we have to help ourselves as much as we can because GP's in general have little knowledge past the prescribing of levothyroxine which sadly does not help lots of people.
  • Posted

I also get that spaced out feeling on a fairly regular basis, i am on 100mg of levothyroxine and also have a problem with my right eye which has a partially closed eyelid, double vision 45 degrees to right, eyesight will blur with no warning and lesions on the eye.

the eye clinic told me that it wasnt the case that my eyelid was partially closed but more that my left had retracted and was stary...i was told to go home and look at photos and could have surgery if it bothered me...there is NO change to my left eye from years previous.

she did however suggest referral to a neurologist and endocrinologist so waiting for that.

• Posted

Poor you Diane , have had problems with my eyelids but not with vision although there is a condition to do with Thyroid that effects the eyes.I just had drooping eyelids & eventually had surgery on both but Thyroid was not mentioned at all.I have had lots of things over the years that were all treated seperately and none of the Dr's I saw regognised that all my symptoms were classic thyroid.If I were you I would find a symptom list on The Thyroid UK & check out if any apply to you. This will be good info to take to an endocrinologist.Also go to the thyroid support group on facebook where there are some lovely people one of which will have personal experience of what you have at the moment.Also Diane read as much as you can about thyroid because sad to say GP's are not brilliant at treating it as you will find out the more research you do. Good luck let me know how you get on
  • Posted

Hello, Thank you for your replies it nice to know other people understand how i'm feeling as I tell people i feel tired but they don't understand how it feels. I'm going to try taking my tablets at night to see if that helps. I had another blood test last week and i'm just waiting to see the results the last time i had my blood tested was a year ago so I might need an increase from 75mg. One of my eyes looks lazy aswell. Let us know how you get on with the endocrinologist Brewster.

• Posted

Hi Katie,Been to endocrinologist today who told me she would not prescribe Armour,she didnt mind me taking it but wont let me have it on NHS.She also said I was overdosing and when I asked wouldnt I have hyper symptoms if I was taking too much she said i would have a stroke or heart attack or osteoporosis if I continued.She also drew me a picture of my head and explained as if I was a 2 yr old.She said the fact that I am practically pain free was nothing to do with the Armour it was probably arthritis which I would have thought would get worse over time not better.I have also had every painkiller there is and morphine patches for years and they were no help at all so why has the pain gone since I went on Armour.I paid £5 to park my car to hear that drivvle,eventually I told her that I am 69 now and would rather spend whatever time I have left painfree as againstliving longer but in agony.She wants to see me again in September when I have lowered my dose considerably but I dont think thats going to happen,I prefer to listen to people who have thyroid trouble like me and have learned to treat themselves.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.