feeling emotional

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hello. I'm due to have my hip replacement on 1st march and although I know it's the best thing for me I'm feeling quite emotional. I was warned I might feel this way afterwards. Does anyone else feel this?

3 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi its normal to feel this way.But please remember to get all the help you can get.Order in food to microwave.Ask family members to help you as much as possible.Regards Amanda
  • Posted

Yes I think it's a lot of pain, pressure and emotionally challenging for most of us.

many docs never approach this part of the THR community. 

My GP put me on anti depressants which also helped me get thru THR many issues we face while healing from THR.

its OK and it's normal for most of us. No reason to feel alone believe me you have lots of company! Now smile and get outside and smell the 🌹.

Hope xxxxx😀

• Posted

Thankyou 😊 Only joined this forum yesterday and already feel more positive xx

• Posted

I almost canceled my THR about 5 days before. I had been not very active for a couple days & didn't have much pain. I thought, nah, I don't need to have this done. So then I cleaned cabinets, did laundry, cleaned bathrooms, etc & a few hours later couldn't walk. Fear is normal. Most of us have never been through something like this. I am 10 days post op, off pain meds & walking, albeit slowly, without assistance. Fear is normal, get your home ready for return, & line up support. All the best.

• Posted

Hey that the Spirit! 😀We all hope to bring a little sunshine your way.🌞

• Posted

In my case I almost skipped my way to the operating table, couldn't wait for them to get rid of the old painful and crippling hip, I was unable to walk, hip had fallen apart, specailsit told me effectively broken.

I was lucky or not lucky with my family, their are multiple hip and knee replacements through my family so had a mental vision of before and after, and the after looked alot better.

The one example was my 80 year old uncle, double hip six weeks apart, and he was showing off to me doing a dance down the length of the room, and jumping in the air and clicking both heels together, less than a year after his surgery, and my memories are of him being cripplied for years previous.

The one thing Uncle Bill said to me was, knew it was going to one of you, the next generation, and hugged me and said, sad it was you, his first niece, and get those hips done sooner than later, the pain eats you alive, and I was stupid in delaying so long, took years off my life, which I agree with with bells on.

Uncle Bill passed last year at 97, so had 17 years pain free, and he enjoyed them, outdoor bowls, a girlfriend after his first wife passed away, a wicked sense of humor, and naughty with the jokes and tricks he played on us as children.

Still to this day cannot eat whitebait easily, (nz fish dish) yummmmm, look at all those eyes looking at you, cannot open my eyes, eat it blind.

He was a great example of being able to get through the surgery, and I kept him in mind, if Uncle Bill could do the surgery at 80 I could do the surgery at 60, and kept repeating it to myself.

Feel free to borrow Uncle Bill.

• Posted

Such an inspiring story to share with all us hippies. This made me giggle with laughter! 😄😄😄

thanks 👍

Hopexxx

• Posted

Fantastic uncle bill - what an example to us all.

Thank you Lyn for telling us about him

• Posted

Hi Molly. Your not alone on this one. I have to have both of my hips replaced. My first surgery is on March the 6th. I was getting really nervous but then I would take a few deep breaths and think it's not happening today so why waste my energy on a negative emotion. Then I started thinking about being pain free. Being off all the pain meds. Sleeping a full night of uninterrupted sleep. Walking with out a cane or a walker. Exercising again. Just enjoying life in general. Just have to get through the surgery and all the good will come. Hang in there Molly... You've got this😉

• Posted

Hi Carrie Thankyou - you sound so positive 😊 I'm trying to do the same and looking forward to having a life again. Best wishes for 6th march - I'm sure having such a positive frame of mind will help the recovery.

• Posted

Thank-you Molly. Don't get me wrong I was a real mess with all the fear creeping in but then I realized if I changed my thinking maybe it would lesson and thankfully it did. Good luck with your surgery hon. I'm sure everything will go great for you. Let me know how you make out.

Carrie

• Posted

I'm into week 7 now and before the op I was terrified having never been in hospital for anything before. I read up all about the op which was a wrong thing to do.

On the day because I was the youngest and fittest I had to wait until 4.00 in the afternoon before going down to theatre.

I asked for a general anaesthetic. All I remember after the injection was the anaesthetist asking me how I felt. Just told him I felt dizzy.

The next thing I remember was coming round in recovery and feeling cold and shivery. They put loads of blankets on me and I went back to sleep. When I woke up again they took me back to the ward.

The next morning had breakfast and the nurse got me out of bed to go to the toilet.

Then physio came for waking practice.

It was wonderful walking with no pain in my leg.

The only pain was associated with the wound.

After an xray I was discharged the next day and wondered why I'd been do scared.

The first 2 weeks were the worst as I live on my own. I just pottered around, read, played on my tablet, did physio exercises.

Then friends started coming round for coffee and bringing in anything I needed.

My best advice would be to practice exercises and using grabber and sock aid before you go in. It makes it so much easier afterwards.

It's a long journey but so worth it in the end.

Sorry for rambling on but I hope it gives you an idea what to expect.

• Posted

Thankyou - you've done so well. Yes - I've got a grabber which helps a lot. Practising walking with crutches too. Can't imagine no pain - you get so used to it don't you?

Hope you continue with your good recovery I'll think of you when I feel down 😊

Take care

• Posted

Hi, it's quite normal to be emotional and scared prior to the surgery.  I was very tearful prior to having my THR.  You will be happy that you did it though.  I didn't have anymore pain in my hip afterwards.  There will be other obsticals that you'll have to get through, but it will be worth it.  My emotions were up and down until about 10 weeks after the operation, even though I did very well.  It's easy for me to say, but try not to worry too much.  It will soon be over and you will be up and moving around pain free before you know it.  Best of luck!

• Posted

Thanks Kimberley it's good to know that others have experienced the same emotions. Up and down !! The op is the only thing on my mind just now - one minute I feel very positive and then I'm all over the place feeling scared

It's so nice to have the support of this group.

I trust you've made a

good recovery

Thankyou for your kind words

• Posted

I did make a speedy recovery, thank you.  I'm 7 months post op now, and I'm pain free and feel back to normal most of the time.  There are days that i'm reminded that I'm still recovering when I overdo things.  But overall I'm so happy with the result. 

I was just 49 years old when I had my THR.  Until I found this website, I thought that I was the youngest person out there having to get a hip replacement.  It didn't help when people would say, "but you are so young!"  Comments like that made me feel worsesad

I realize now that there are people of all ages that have successfully gone through this procedure.  It's far more common that you'd think.

• Posted

It does seem to be quite a common procedure but when you are told at first you think it's only you 😊 But talking about it helps doesn't it and this group is great - only found it a few days ago but feel very reassured by everyone's experiences. Thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.