Feeling fatigued and nauseous after one unit of blood transfusion and a iron infusion.

Posted , 1 user is following.

I had a blood transfusion and a iron infusion on the 6th of this month (6/6/2022) due to my haemoglobin level being 76 and never had i ever experienced side-effects before i’m feeling very ill in the stomach and very fatigued. Im hoping they may have gave me a bit too much iron as usually i dont have iron if get a blood transfusion. I usually get 500mg and this time they gave me 2000mg although I could be wrong. I've been getting iron infusions for about 4-5 yrs due to iron deficiency anaemia caused from an internal bleed from a hiatus hernia. 4 yrs ago my Hb level was 38 and they took me to hospital and they gave me 5 units of blood to get my levels back up. After the hospital visit had ongoing tests for months after for them to finally find the bleed from my hernia.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.