Feeling frustrated!

Posted , 3 users are following.

A few weeks ago I had a 'dizzy' episode, followed a few nights later by palpitations during the night, where my pulse seemed to 'disappear'. I had to cough and move about to get it beating properly again. Same thing happened the following night and I went to emergency dept. ECG was apparently normal, but the following day I went to my doctor and he said it was slightly abnormal and prescribed beta-blockers (Metoprolol 25mg twice a day).

I have been awaiting a 24hr holter monitor, which was attached Tuesday and removed yesterday, so I have to wait a week or so for the results of that, but currently I am experiencing some more of the night-time 'flutters' where my pulse seems to just whoosh rather than beat.

I am feeling dizzy - possibly from the tablets - but otherwise during the day I feel fine, it's just these episodes at night. I can normally get to sleep, although I can't sleep on my back as I usually do, but then I wake after a couple of hours in this state.

Anyone else have this and can point me to some solution, please?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi D,( shortened it) I dont know how old you are, ( doesn't really matter, happens at any age I have learned) You may be experiencing "pauses;" in heart beat! I had an implantable moniter done last April, after complaing alot about my skipped beats and dizzy and panic at night. Well, In July I had 2 episodes of a 3 second pause and a week later ( during my knee replacement) a little longer one of 3. 5

Now, they missed this and did not find it till November! Not happy here, the acted all like it was not there mistake. I learned later I could have passed out while driving, sleeping , passed out and broken a hip or worse. Needless to say, they said I needed a pacemaker. I had a second opionion done. He said, yes my heart rate went way low at night and I needed a pacemaker. So.. I had one in December. This is not an old persons disease. I am 65 but if you go to the Pacemaker Club on line, you will see what I have is Sick Sinus Syndrome and lots of young people get it. It just means your  natural pacer for your heart is not up to par. People live long full lives! I have no restrictions, except not to play foot ball! ( not happening) or walk through the canners at airports. It takes some getting used to, but I feel save to drive and live! You may not have this, but I would suggest to go to an EPT dr. They will be able to help you, not a normal cardio dr. Hope this helps, and not scares you. Take care, Mabel

• Posted

Hi Mabel, and thanks for your reply. I don't think the issue is 'pauses' in heartbeat - it is an actual 'fluttering' which lasts for some time, until I sit up in bed, or cough, or try various other methods of bringing it back to normal. I am 58 by the way, and I think this may be menopause coming back to haunt me! I thought I was done with it.

I now have the results of the 24hr monitor and that is, apparently, normal. I did have one of the 'flutter' episodes during the night while wearing the monitor, but this did not show on the monitor reading.

For the past few nights I have actually been able to sleep OK, and if I wake up I can get back to sleep without any more issues, so I don't really know what is going on. I have been trying to wean myself off the Metoprolol, but my doctor wants me to continue with them, even though the monitor result was OK. I never saw the cardiologist - he sent the results out to the waiting room with a nurse. Not sure where to go from here.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.