Feeling Good ...finally!

Posted , 10 users are following.

What a difference a change in PT can make....While I did have a manipulation last week - I am finally making real progress with the bend and straightening! Due to lack of progress (and I think 'bad attitude' with the last PT - my Dr. suggested it would be better to come into the hospital for out patient PT) and the manipulation I have now been working since last friday with the new Physio at the hospital - post manip you have to come in 5 days per week for about a 2 hour session consisting of strengthening, stretching and massage - the great news is that last friday I had 65 degrees on the self bend (i.e. not over the side of the bench where gravity is doing the work) but this morning I had 90 degrees! I am so excited .... I mean REALLY excited! The new physio is great and has tons of suggtions ... if you can't do a particular exercise she has others that you can try which work the same muscle groups ... thanks to her I have been making this progress .... all to say, I should have listened to that little voice in my head that told me the first guy was not interested in anything but his own stats ... and certainly coiuldn't be bothered with someone who didn't fit the curve in terms of bend and recovery ... so listen to that little voice and ask questions or seek alternatives .... 

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Donna, the right PT does make a difference especially if you have a good working relationship and can ask questions and get the right answers. Good luck on your recovery.
  • Posted

I'm so happy for you keep pushing to improve. I wish you nothing but the best God bless!
  • Posted

Donna 

after the op you have a window of opertrinity to increase your gate when bending and straitening the leg ...the trick is to stretch and stretch then  exercise for strength and when they become easier increase the time and the amount of times you do them or change exercise ...I found when I got used to my exercise my knee became painful the key is exercise and stretch gate will increase and it will become less painfull and swelling will ease good luck donna it will get easier we have all been there ,,,believe me donna you are by the worst you are on the road to recovery plan what you are going to do with your new self in six months ..think positive 

• Posted

Thanks Pauli..I do finally feel like I am on the road to recovery after 11 weeks at this
    • Posted

Good donna I am so glad you are now feeling recovery is in your sights ...after two years I now you forget you have a new knee ...
  • Posted

That's great news, Donna.

Glad to hear that you are doing so well and feeling so positive now.

Keep up the good work.

Patsy

• Posted

thats great donna going in 5 days on the trot for pt is fantastic i must say i was not offered that when i had MUA  its a must i think as it gives you the best chance of sucess well done you deserve it
    • Posted

I think that's what we really need - intensive physio.  My consultant has advised me to hire a CPM machine for after this next Op (opening of the knee and removing excess scar tissue), so I've ordered it today.  £500 for 2 months though!  I'm just praying that my knee is finally straight after all of this.
    • Posted

wow thats pricey ! lets face it you would do anything to give it a chance i hope it works out for you mind you i thought that the cpm machine was only for the bend ? as i found after my revision i was struggling to straighten it and i got the revision because i could not get the bend on it  if i thought that it also helped the straightening i would have asked to be put on it .for some stupid reason we dont get to use cpm machine after revision as i asked physio after my op when would i be on it she said he dose not believe in it so many different views no wonder we are all on here to get answers !! i wish you the very best and i hope your pleased with the outcome
    • Posted

The price of stuff is crazy. There is another patient in my pt session who also had the MUA same day as me. Her surgeon does have her on the CPM machine 3-4 (bloody) hours a day...now she is paying $400 cdn a month to rent it....about £175....huge difference. ...she says it feels good when she is on it..but she still only has a bend of about 102...it almost seems like when she is not on it the stiffness sets in and stops the free bending. ...they started her the first day after mua at 85 degrees and she said she yelled like a banshee....
    • Posted

haha!!! there must be some irish there .. its like the surgeons think put them on cpm machine and then our job is done such a expense what if you cant afford the rent of the cpm ???? hope all works out for you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.