Feeling helpless

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been feeling a terrifying low for some time now. I was on anti depressants for a year there and only recently stopped but the overwhelming feeling of wanting to cry has began again! i feel so alone and sad, like there is no one to turn too and truly listen! i don't even know why i feel like this, there are no words but pain being felt! i tried to speak to my sister about it who asked me 'what have you got to be depressed about'

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I am so sorry. I think only other depressed people can relate. Your sisters comment says she doesnt know depression is a chemical imbalance. First, it sounds like you need to return to your medication. If you are experiencing this terrible low after stopping your meds, that sounds like the problem. Did your Dr. take you off them or was it something you decided? Please know there are countless people who are going thru the same thing. I have gone thru that, too. You ARE NOT alone. Have your Dr. recommend a group of other depressive people who meet to share their common experiences. Or a therapist who specializes in talk therapy. It can help. Do not give up, there is hope & help. I am praying for you, friend.

• Posted

Hi, thank you so much for replying. I have never felt so alone and stuck in my own mind! It was my decision for stopping them, I felt so much better when I made this decision, but recently everything has came crushing down on top of me again. All my doctors do are give me medication, I can't seem to find any support groups or anything except on here reading others stories and struggles!

hope you are well

• Posted

hi clo, depression is a terrible illness! it can cause physical as well as emotional pain - if it's physical see a doctor, depression responds well to walking, talking to people, exercise, anything physical as long as it is not likely to cause more physical pain. i wish you luck trying to sort this. i hops you get the support you need.

• Posted

My sister said exactly the same as yours so I never mention it now. It could be you came off them too soon or too quickly. The official advice is to wait until you have felt better for at least 6 months before you come off ad's x

• Posted

So sorry to hear about your struggles Clo. Depression is a terrible and hidden illness that people who haven't suffered from cannot truly understand.

All I would say is no matter how hard it is, please remember these feelings will pass. There is help available out there if you find close ones aren't very understanding.

I too suffer from depression that I don't know the cause of and that can be frustrating but there are things we can do to help us cope as and when these feelings arise.

I know it's almost impossible but please resist the urge to stop doing the things you enjoy. When we feel like this it's easy to believe that the best thing to do is stay in bed all day and not do things but from experience I would urge you to do whatever you can so you are active to some extent. Today I picked up my coat from the dry cleaners which I am pleased to have done.

Perhaps going back onto antidepressants is an answer. Talking therapies may also be a solution which you can self refer yourself for sometimes.

You WILL get through this I promise you. Keep going

• Posted

you have no idea how much I needed this reply! thank you from the bottom of my heart xx

• Posted

Hello clo, depression is a big problem of current times and it is very commonly found in big cities. Major depression can result in severe impairments that interfere with or limit one’s ability to carry out major life activities.Recent survey of 2018 says that an estimated 17.3 million adults in the United States had at least one major depressive episode. This number represented 7.1% of all U.S. adults.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.