Feeling hopeless

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi.

I've been having a really bad flare up the last 2 weeks and have just been feeling so down . I feel like I'm getting worse. I just think is this it now for the rest of my life ? I'm only 30 and I don't know how I can cope with it forever.

I'm also worrying about my future health. Like what if I get a pain and I just put it down to fibro when it could be something more serious. How am I meant to distinguish between different pains that are fibro or something else ?

Just feel like I'm in a bit of a spiralling black hole at the minute and don't know how to pull myself out.

xx

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Molly, Well one way I have found is by getting regular overall check ups and not leaving anything to chance. That way we stay on top of things. Also sweetie, you need to handle your worries and stress more efficiently. Emotions is something that really makes our symptoms worse. I try to evaluate what kind of emotional state I was in before a flare up. Usually I was overly worried and stressed about something or I was building mountains in my mind over mole hills. I find journalling very helpful to get out my thoughts in words and then it is not just a negative emotion rolling around inside of me. I find we can get more of a perspective on why we are worried, anxious, stressing, so that we can have a more balanced and objective approach. If there is something we can do about what we are concerned about then we can take some steps to help improve a situation. But if there is absolutely nothing we can do about it, then we need to let it go. To leave it in the hands of someone higher. The only person we can ultimately control is ourselves. We cannot control the actions or words of others. That is their responsibility. Not taking on the responsibility of others is also a key to improving our health. We have limited energy so we do not want to waste it in a useless endeavour. So in taking better care of your emotional health, you will reap many benefits. More peace of mind and therefore less of the tenseness in the muscles and digestive tract. This is what I have learnt over my many years with this conditon. So never despair Molly. There is a great deal of hope in coping with this ongoing struggle. You will definitely have better days. Maggie x
    • Posted

Hi Maggie totally agree with having to destress, iv had fibromyelgia for about 5 years and was able to manage it until my son started with his problems year and half ago then excellarated 6 months ago when one of my brothers died then my mum 8 wks later and can barely walk some days more often than not and constantly cancelling appointments it's absolutely dreadful x

• Posted

Hi Nikki. Yes I don’t think sufferers realise just how much stress and worry can bring on a real flare up or even contribute to developing FM. I am sorry for all you have been through sweetie! Life has so many challenges I know. We cannot help but be affected by family related situations. And especially so when it is our children. And there is just so much we can do ourselves Nikki. We usually have little influence in the choices of others and even less of an impact when health related problems become life threatening. I am sorry for your loss Nikki. I have lost 2 brothers and a dear sister in the last few years so I can understand your sadness. They are at peace now and in God’s hands. I am sure you were a good sister and a lovely daughter. Most FM sufferers are sensitive and caring people. We ‘feel’ very deeply. But now you must try to nurture your wellbeing Nikki. Talking to a trusted friend can ease your pain. I find Journalling also very helpful to get my feelings out in words. I find that it helps to get a better perspective and the emotions are not as damaging to us then. And worry really does us no good. We can ruminate over things endlessly but there is no real advantage to us. Do things that relax you more Nikki. Take a long hot Epsom Salts bath with candles (I do that) watch something upbuilding like a lovely movie or comedy, go out for a coffee with a friend, go for a drive in the country with someone you love, listen to your favorite music or spend time with a favorite pet. (I am an animal lover) and they give us a great deal of comfort and contentment. Learn to Nurture You Nikki. We worry and stress and try to ‘help’ others, but we end up forgetting about ourselves. The Bible wisely counsels us to ‘love others, as you do YOURSELF. We usually don’t think about that important part, US. There has to be more of a balance In our lives. So think about ways that you can help yourself sweetie. Big hugs! Maggie xx
    • Posted

I just wrote out a long reply and took me ages and deleted it by mistake lol sort and sweet it's definitely stress and iv been changing all that as much as I can which is strange for me coz I'm the one everyone comes to with there problems but just can't do that anymore. I also got a baby kitten last week and I'm njoying the cuddles and watching her play she is adorable an I do she's helping me destress xx

• Posted

Hi Molly, first I want to say I’m sorry and that your not alone.  I am in the same boat, I struggle everyday with positivity.  What do you eat?  Sugar makes me hurt all over baldly, there are some foods you should avoid and some foods that will not trigger your symptoms/ pain.  I no longer eat dairy, eggs or sugar.  I eat fruits and veggies and a minimal amount of bread.  I believe I have a virus.  My health issues after I tried to help a stray cat and was scratched.  I don’t know what happens to the cat.  I pray we will find our Angel on earth so that we may be healed, hugs Molly.
    • Posted

Virus is a huge possibility, mine started few yrs back walking my dog threw fields, it had been raining and I got bitten very bad from the knees down and was very poorly, they eventually healed but then started with abscess big ones traveling around my body one day in my groin then in my boob and it went on like that for a good few months then it stayed in my boob and had to have op to remove it and it was huge, never been the same since x
  • Posted

Hi Molly- I've lived with this problem for 45 years but you won't have to . Despite everything you have read or heard there is a medical test that wil give an exact reading of your FM .  This a true medical test based on blood markers . I've taken the test and scored n 82 out of 100 . The test is offered by EpicGenetics and is fully covered by US insurers. The real good news is a drug known as BCG has been shown  in an early trial to fix the problem . BCG has been used for 80 years as a vaccine to prevent TB . For the last 7 or 8 years it has been used to assist in the fight against cancer and a clinical trial request is awaiting FDA approval to ffight diabetes 2 .A similar clinical trial request  for FM using BCG is awaiting the ok from the FDA . Both trials have been developed by the Faustman Lab at MGH in Boston . Each condition uses different vaccine strains , dosages and frqencys so each trial has to be approved on it's own merits . Two vaccine shots is thought to be the case with FM . The vaccine will be very low cost . Google EpicGenetics and Faustman Lab. /BCG and regain some hope .

• Posted

Hi, I'm so sorry you are feeling so low. I too have been through these feelings of 'if I'm like this now what will I be like when I'm old?!' And the wondering about pains that could in fact be something else more serious but the Doctor puts everything down to the fibro. I've had the condition for some considerable time. After I got a really bad virus infection in my twenties, it took me 5 years to feel even vaguely back to some sort of normal functioning.

I have two things to recommend but neither may suit you or be an option but I'm putting these ideas out there for anyone who may be able to try and benefit.

First, I live in the UK and while its not possible to keep going to your GP and demanding tests I did find a private company called Bluecrest who offer very reasonably priced health checks. I specifically wanted to have a check for ovarian cancer as I was getting back pain so bad it felt like period cramps even when I wasn't having a period. They ran full blood tests on all sorts of metabolic functions and the ovarian cancer was one you could specifically ask for. So, as I don't smoke, drink or go on expensive holidays I decided that I could spend a couple of hundred pounds getting these checks done privately every now and again. This helps allay my fears of something else going on in the background. It's worth it for the peace of mind.

The second thing is 'experimental'. I started taking concentrated Turmeric powder capsules along with a Magnesium supplement. Turmeric has long been known as an anti inflammatory and many cultures have used it medicinally for years. The Magnesium was suggested by an assistant at Holland & Barratt (UK Health supplement shop) as it aids energy release and it is known that many people are deficient in it. Alongside this I started on CBD oil which is rapidly gaining ground as a treatment for chronic pain and may even become available on the NHS if the petitions are effective. I have been taking these for about 6 weeks now. I haven't stopped taking my prescribed medication, but that was barely touching my symptoms.  AND......... I feel FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!. I can hardly believe it myself after being in pain for over 20 years. My fatigue has almost vanished, I now just get more normally 'tired' like everyone else.

In a few weeks I will approach my GP to see about cutting down on all the prescribed medication. I don't want to come off that and find that actually this good spell is just a coincidence. But as my liver function results from the Bluecrest health check were pretty poor I think it is work at least trying to cut down on the 20 or so tablets I take every day.

As I've said, this may not work for everyone but I would certainly encourage you to try the Turmeric and CBD oil. The turmeric is reasonably priced but the CBD oil is a bit pricey so I know it will not be possible for everyone to keep up this regime. I will continue and see how I get on. I'd rather never go on holiday or buy new clothes ever again if it means I can afford these and stay pain free.

Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.