feeling horrible on venafaxine

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was previously on escitalopram for anxiety and obsessive thoughts. And this is the second time I've tried venlafaxine 37.5mg. I tried it previously a few weeks ago and now I am trying it again. This is my third week and I feel really bad tempered, irritable and my thoughts are racing, I also feel constantly stressed. I felt ok the very first time I tried them but this time I feel horrible. Can't sleep on them neither feel tired but wired. I really don't know what to do anymore with regards to medication. I've had quite a few ssris but none of them have helped my anxiety. I just feel like giving up, I'm sick of living like this now!

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Donna, sorry to hear you are not doing well on Venlafaxine I was prescribed 75mg daily afew years ago when I was hit by a debilitating depression started off by a life event and a low level vitamin I dud follow a weekly course at the same time which was intended to help me with s daily plan for sorting out how to recognise what I was finding it difficult to do I was on the disease fir over two years and it certainly did raise my mood I found I began to talk a lot about neatly everything that came into my head but gradually this settled to more normal I came off the medication by dropping to 37.5mg for about a month and have kept well since I hope you will soon feel the benefit of these tablets
    • Posted

Hi Patricia I just feel overwhelmed by everything at the minute, everything feels like it's just too much to handle even the simplest of tasks. I just feel so stressed out. All I want to feel is relaxed, one minute I feel ok and a little bit happy and the next I'm all over the place again with anxiety, I have had a couple of good days here and there but that's it. I really hope these work because I don't want to give up just yet, it's the bad temper that's putting me off!

• Posted

Yes,it's a horrible place to be! I never thought my depression would go away I hope it is right for you Do they have the 'talking therapies' round your way? It can help to start things going the right way and it's OK to let off steam! Hopefully!

• Posted

I am currently trying EFT therapy not sure how affective it is going to be though. Can't seem to concentrate.

• Posted

It's a therapy where you tap on parts of the body to relieve anxiety emotional freedom technique, something to do with the bodies meridians. I'm really sceptical tho I will say one thing I feel tired after each session but it's something you have to practice at home and that's the hardest part because I don't want anyone hearing me muttering to myself while I tap on parts of my face! Will look like I'm a bit of a nutter!!

• Posted

Hi Donna,

How are you feeling today?

Why did you go on it a few weeks ago and then come off?

Clare x

• Posted

Hi Clare I came off previously because I couldn't sleep so went back on my old ones for a while until I saw a psychiatrist who suggested I try venlafaxine again considering I found them ok first time round. This time though I find I feel a lot worse anxiety wise and also not sleeping very well. My ears are ringing all the time and thoughts are just racing/worrying.

• Posted

I had trouble sleeping on them at first and at dose increases but did settle down eventually.

They can also cause heightened anxiety in the first few weeks which isn't great when that's what your taking them for in the first place!

I increased my dose again on Friday and have been feeling very anxious since then. Like you one minute I feel ok and the next my thoughts are racing and I feel horrible.

From what I've heard these tablets can take a long time to settle down and it can take time to find the right dose.

If you are having some parts of the day when your feeling even a little better then that could be a good sign that they will work for you.

Do you suffer with depression as well as anxiety? Xx

• Posted

I'm glad someone else is on them also! It's horrible when u keep feeling ok and then bad again. I'm nearly on week 4 now. I just hope they work for obsessive thinking as well. It's mostly anxiety for me but the anxiety can cause a little bit of low mood sometimes.

• Posted

That's exactly the same for me! On a bad day I have the same obsessive thoughts going round and round in my head. That then affects my mood.

I've just increased to 187.5mg from last Friday. Been feeling very anxious on and off since then really.

Have you suffered in the past?

Your still on a very low dose so plenty of scope for increase.

• Posted

Omg snap! Same here just the same obsessive thoughts going round and round! This gets me down a lot. Is it just anxiety you suffer from? I have generalised anxiety disorder and obsessive thinking mild ocd. Do you sleep ok on venlafaxine? I can't seem to sleep because my heads racing at night. My doc asked me if I wanted to increase my dose but I said no for now because I'm scared it'll make anxiety worse.

• Posted

Mine is mainly anxiety but I do get depression as well. It's a bloody horrible illness. Can be very lonely. Is it any particular thoughts that go round? Mine is obsessing over my children growing up and not needing me anymore. Also my mum getting older and not being around forever (she's only 64!) when I first became ill I had awful trouble sleeping and actually had 5 nights without even a minutes sleep! That was horrendous.

I've been sleeping ok on the ven apart from the dose increase before this one when I struggled again for a few nights. Insomnia has to be the worst thing ever!

• Posted

Not really just daft silly thoughts, I sometimes get intrusive thoughts that can turn obsessive. I had a pretty traumatic childhood (abuse) but I'm having therapy for this but my thoughts are mostly worries and what ifs! I also worry about my children all the time so you are totally not alone. But I think that's common in general anxiety disorder anyways for most people. My anxiety triggered off when my mam died suddenly 11 years ago.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.