Feeling hot

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi All

i get days weeks where I  am really hot and break out in a  sweat mainly on my face.  Then a week or two nothing.  Then  it is back.  I am on MTX and folic acid.  Does anyone else have this or any idea what might be the cause.

Thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Maybe it is a reaction to your medication, or maybe not. Sounds serious enough to go back to your rheumatologist.
  • Posted

hormones? I've never experienced this not to say it doesn't happen.

• Posted

Yes, I have a huge problem with this. At first I thought it was just hot flashes because I'm 52 and you know, I'm at that age.. But, then I started keeping better track and doing some research and I found that some of us with RA will have "RA fevers". Where you spike a quick fever and it only lasts a short time, then goes back to normal. I swear I am either burning up on fire, or freezing cold. No middle ground for my body temp anymore. Some days it drives me mad! I'm also on MTX anf folic acid. I quit the B12 because my dr says you can have these hot flash symptoms from it. I do know that with me, the more active my RA is the more often I have these hot flash/RA fevers. I'm supposed to add Enbrel but I haven't yet because of cost as well as fear of a biologic. I'm pretty sure I'll just have to bite the bullet and start it though. I'm having an increase in foot and hand/wrist pain to the point where I can hardly sleep anymore. Prednisone works great for me, but as I'm sure you know, this is a double edge sward. I don't take it unless I just can't deal with the pain anymore because everytime I take it I have a hard time losing the 5 more pounds I gain from it. I am active and exercise 3 times a week or more, but the older you get the harder it is to stay in shape. Especially with having RA along with Hashimoto's. 

Best of luck to you and if you find something that helps, please post it!

• Posted

Hi justgettinby just read everything you said am i am much the exact same as you i am 52 also gettin these flushes as if my face and heads on fire and then feeling cold i have been taking headaches this last while all on different parts of head...can be really sore at times am on 25mg of MTX also biologic drug Toclizumab so i can relate to everything you have said there thought i was the only one going through this hell foot hand and wrist pain is my worse also we have this in common i could have wrote nearly the exact same about myself as you wrote..the only way i can put this RA fever cold and hot sore heads is like a bad hangover i used to get that when i drank i dont touch drink now but its just like that only way i can describe this i am going to keep this post cos i will be also looking out for something that helps but i do think its RA fever rather than the drugs...good luck to all bob 👍👍

• Posted

Hi Jystgettingby, thanks for the reply, the pain in my knees hands and wrist have been quite bad but did not connect the two, will keep a record for the future.  I mentioned it to my Rhummy and was told My immune system is not working and referred for bloods but nothing shown up as yet.  I have a new rhumetoligist so will mention it to him. Forgot to say I am 70. If I get a result I will post it.
  • Posted

Well, reading what the others have written so far, it jogs my memory about the first couple of years with RA. I would get a short temperature spike (a day or so) and that was from inflammation in the body. You probably need an adjustment in your meds/doses. Terrible disease. 
  • Posted

Fevers are not uncommon with RA. They are linked to inflammation, I get them all the time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.