Feeling ill because of anxiety. Help?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi guys,

I've just been hit with a weird flu bug type thing which was awful for 24 hours (sore throat, blocked nose, headache, severe body aches, temperature, shakes, etc) and then I just had a sore throat and blocked nose afterwards, which is almost gone now. That started on Saturday and it's now Thursday. I also had a tiny rash with three seperate parts but it seemed more like an insect bite and I had been on a long walk in the countryside, so...Ever since then, I've been struck with a total loss of appetite and nausea after eating. I don't think it's related as I'm feeling good now and I was starving on Sunday/during the illness.

Anyway, I suffer from severe health anxiety, general anxiety and social anxiety and I'm possibly going through S.A.D. or some form of mild depression as my uni course is bringing me down as it's not for me and I've had a pretty hard time due to social anxiety. Whenever I get struck with an illness, whether it be a headache or a cold, my mind goes into overdrive, and my health anxiety makes me constantly check over my body. I'm just totally convinced in my mind that this cold/flu/virus has triggered it.

I'm 100% aware of the impact that mental health has had on me physically before. I had awful stomach cramps for like 7 months, headaches, depersonalisation, fatigue. I had my bloods checked in february/march and they were fine. I'm just feeling nauseous and not hungry at all, but I am eating, because I have to. 

I just want some support or advice from anyone if they think anxiety can trigger this as I've never had it before and I'm convinced this virus is slowly killing me.

If you check my profile, you'll see my old posts when I thought I had bowel cancer, and I'm 18. Fun times.

Thanks so much!

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I'm in a similar situation at the moment been on anxiety meds for 5 weeks now and was feel a lot better about a week ago then when I swallowed I felt a lump on the left side of my throats that moved when I swallowed and made swallowing hurt a little, now at about the same time I was starting to get what I thought was just a cold, stuffy nose sore throats and a little congested in my sinuses and chest a tiny bit, however I'm still congested and have the throats issue right now but now I'm just not hungry and feel nauseous, I lost 12 lbs when I started anxiety meds and gained all but 3 lbs back up until this point, now I've lost almost all the weight I've gained and anxiety pushed into overdrive until yesterday when I just made the dec I wasn't gonna feel anxious about it anymore so most of those anxiety symptoms left but still no appetite and of course the throat soreness And lump feeling when I swallow I would advise you to just go to the dr to make sure you don't need antibiotics for the sickness you have, and I as much as I don't want to out of fear will have to take my own advise and schedule an appt today lol anxiety is a terribly weird deal isn't it, but it's beatable we just have to work a lot harder than the average person to. Beat it. good luck.(not really a lot of advice just wanted yo to know your not alone in this feeling and it will get better cause it kinda has to right lol)

• Posted

I have a severe fear of going to the doctor sugery so I'm probably just going to wait for this bout of anxiety symptoms to go away, because everytime I have, it's worked. I actually had a period where I had that throat swallowing symptom you mentioned. It passed, but it was awful, and it felt like something was stuck in my throat for a few weeks. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply, and I hope you feel better too.

• Posted

Oh and yes anxiety can cause almost every symptom out there pretty much, the power of the mind is amazing, so amazing that it causes physical symptoms, it makes life more interesting but I don't think anyone will enjoy the good times quite as much as we will once we get over this crappy hiccup in the road

• Posted

lauren

You have what seems to have been a virus so you are bound to feel washed out. So it is bound to effect your Anxiety  It seems the virus is now past so all you can do now is be kind to yourself.

It is important that you can see your GP when needed even when you do not want to go If you feel the need  If you are really worried go

BOB

• Posted

I have this been bloated for 3 weeks been to a&e twice Drs twice had clear bloods and urine depression and anxiety really can make you feel unwell I am struggling to get my head round it as well 😣

• Posted

It's super frustrating and a vicious cycle. Realising you feel unwell then makes you anxious...etc, etc, etc. Thank you for your reply. Feel better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.