Feeling light headed and frightened

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm 27 year old guy, I've been feeling weird this past few months, ever since 6 months ago when I had a really bad flu that made me feel dizzy and horribly frightening.

Sometimes I get some light headed feelings or dizziness and feeling sleepy which then lead to an anxiety like attack where I feel scared, the thought I am going to faint any time soon, but I don't faint, it goes away after a while, until I think about it, or if I'm hungry.

Last month I was taken to hospital because I was feeling faint, I felt my heart was beating fast, both paramedic and the doctor at the hospital told me the readings show that my heart is beating normally, ECG came fine, just one abnormality but she said that it there's nothing there, had blood test, urine test and x-ray in my chest to see what's causing the chest pains. Nothing....

I was told by the doctor that I'm perfectly fine and there is nothing wrong with me and that I am perfectly healthy. 

(If there was something physically wrong inside they would've seen it right?)

These feelings come and go.

Things that trigger include,

feeling hungry, my legs shake and I realize I haven't eaten, I get into this anxious feeling and my stomach won't stop rumbling.

Feeling full or having acid reflux...

And if I haven't slept much.

And if I expect it or think about it..which is hard to do.

When I'm doing something active, walking running and my work is also physical, I feel ok for a bit, but as soon as I feel myself out of breath, I can't help but feel scared, the more I ignore it the more it gets scarier. 

Sometimes when I'm in bed trying to sleep I get that uncomfortable feeling, that I'm going to pass out and die...

I've tried things like bringing some small cereal bar with me to counting from 99 downwards, it works for a bit, but it's still there...

It's annoying and depressing and I don't know what to do. 

Have to go to my cousin's wedding tomorrow.

I have suffered from some form of social anxiety for years, but mild...These feelings seems to feel worse. Some days are worse than others.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Seems like your mild social anxiety has turned into more, and given you panic attacks. The dizziness you describe, and the fear of getting it again, which then triggers another attack, is exactly what I've been going through for years. Dizziness, feeling faint, and weak are my worst symptoms, and hardest for me to control. If I didn't have those, I don't think I would need anti-anxiety meds, like Xanax. When you had all those tests done, did they check your blood sugar? A dip in blood sugar levels can cause symptoms similar to anxiety symptoms. If that's been checked and cleared, then going to a mental health professional should be the next thing you should do. They'll be best to figure out exactly what's going on, and whether therapy, meds, or both would be best for you.

• Posted

Well psyched out pretty much said everything with sound advice.

I can only add that trying to ignore it shows you fear it and by fearing it you exacerbate your symptoms. And yes, the doctors would have picked up on anything amiss so please don't frighten yourself into imagining you have something radically wrong.

Taking steps to help yourself is a form of taking control...follow psyched out's advice and you won't go wrong.

You'll be okay

• Posted

The day after my very first panic attack i went to a friends wedding. It was an interesting experience. But i had zero clue what was happening. You know what happening so maybe much easier. I would suggest learning more about panic attacks to help you challenege them. You tube can help. Stay away from caffienee, weed and alcohol at the wedding completely. That won't be a good mix. Get into therapy and cbt to help you help yourself. Listen tomorrow if you feel one coming on chew on ice and slip a piece under your tongue and let it sit there being ice cold it averts the anxiety attack the body has to respond it to it. Body is a machine and works a certain way even during an adrenaline  so play on that if needed. Its all a survivor mode gone awry in you. Psyched out soeaks wise words.

• Posted

For some reason alcohol makes me feel better like I don't think about the symptoms and they go away but the very next day is back!. Sucks!...

• Posted

I agree totally with Psyched out and Helen. All of your stuff is anxiety.
  • Posted

I definitely think you have anxiety, and panic attacks. Why hasn't your doc suggested a antidepressant. I also wonder if you have low blood sugar. My sister get's low blood sugar when she's hungry, and  she does feel faint, and shakey. There is no pill for that, just know to keep  sweet things on hand. I still think you need a med for anxiety

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.