Feeling like a brain dead zombie

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm on day 7 on venlafaxine 34.7mg x 2 a day, I was on sertraline for 5 months which did nothing so after seeing a psychiatrist she recommend venlafaxine. Any way I did the switch over from sertraline to venlafaxine a week ago I was ok at first but yesterday I felt really down and today I feel abit down and my brain really hurts and I feel like im stoned! Also my anxiety has gotten really bad, I'm only taking venlafaxine for anxiety once in a blue moon I will get depressed, is this normal to feel like this?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi there. I'm sorry you're going through this, but I'm glad you came here for advice. You might be feeling down because you stopped one medication to start another. That's normal. And with "Effexor" (venlfaxine) and other anti depressants like it, 4-6 is a general time for the medicine to reach it's therapeutic level. You can't take it one pill at a time every so often. That's not how it works.You may have misunderstood your doctor or your doctor didn't explain it well. You must take the medication everyday at the same time. You could take Ativan or Xanax in the meantime to help you get through the episodes of panic. These medications can be successful after prolonged use and only to help you through these days until you Effexor kicks in.

With anti depressants, you will feel changes in your brain, sometimes like bubbles popping, dizziness, etc., But these totally go away. It's just that it's a chemical change in your brain.

Hang in there, and be patient with yourself and the medication. I feel great on this medication. Have been on it for over 12 years. I tried to wean off but went back on because apparently I have chronic anxiety. I truly feel like a better version of myself!

God bless you! Keep me updated!

• Posted

Oops...I said Ativan and Xanax can be successful.... I meant addictive if prolonged use.... Still there good to help you over rough spots!
    • Posted

Ty tammy for your reply. I take a 34.7mg at 8 am then another 34.7mg 8pm is that right? I've got propranolol to ease my anxiety the doctor wouldn't give me any diazapam last time when I had abit of a breakdown 6 months ago and it doesn't do much for me anyway. Thanks so much for your reply xx

• Posted

Venlafaxine must be taken daily for a period of at least 6 weeks before you start to see how it affects you. To see the real benefits or lack of them a standard period of time is about 6 months at least. 

You said you stopped Sertraline to switch to Venlafaxine and that may be the culprit. Both these medications cause unpleasant side effects if stopped at once. Psychiatrists usually make a plan to decrease one medication over several weeks or even months depending on the dose you were taking to help your brain adjust gradually. 

As someone else said, Venlafaxine is an every day for long period of time medication and not to be taken only when you feel anxiety.

Good luck!!! Please call your doctor and relate all this symptoms to her. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.