Feeling like a ticking time bomb!

Posted , 4 users are following.

CT scan shows a small kidney stone in upper pole of right kidney. Urine shows calcium oxalate crystals. No symptoms. I feel like a ticking time bomb waiting for that kidney stone to pass. Comments will be greatly appreciated!

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Let's start by asking how big is the Stone? A small stone is considered less than 3 mm. You should be able to pass this once it gets in the ureter if it doesn't get any bigger. Drink lots of water, it should help flush it out. The narrowest part of the ureter is the lower distal which is right above the bladder, this is where my stones usually get stuck. I presently have 7 stones with a 4 mm stuck in the lower distal left ureter. I have a stent to open the ureter, my urologist tried yesterday to retrieve the stone but the ureter was too swelled to allow the scope to pass through. Hence the stent. The other stones are in the kidneys and range in size from 4 to 7 mm. I have passed stones as large as 6 mm but ones this size really tear you up and are extremely painful. Hope I didn't scare you more, but if your stone is small you should be able to pass it.

• Posted

My Stone was termed as small and nonobstructive. When I hear your story, I sound like a real wimp, but I've passed 2 stones. One was 2mm and the other was 1.5 mm and the pain was incredibly horrific!! I wake up each morning fearing the worst. Thinking I have to cancel the vacations I had coming up etc. Has my mind built this up worse than it is?

• Posted

There is no sounding like a whimp when kidney stones are involved. Woman I've read about have said it's worse than childbirth. Won't hear me saying "I can't wait to have another one" like they do about children. No thank you. 

• Posted

I just had three surgeries to remove over 70 stones. My advice, is you can not drink enough water. Are you drinking water now?  Do it. 

did they analyze your stones?

• Posted

My last 2 stones were calcium oxalate and there's calcium oxalate in my urine so I'm assuming this one is the same. Just came from Urologist and he said it's in upper pole of kidney and measures 1 mm. He also said it may never leave my kidney. Really???

• Posted

10 years ago they told me that. I had a "tiny" stone that would never leave my kidney. 100 stones and 3 surgeries later, I'm in a different situation. 

Truth is, they don't know. It literally may never leave your kidney and you may never have another issue. However if you have had more than one stone, high probability you will have more. Eat a low oxalate diet, drink lots of water. See if potassium citrate is right for you. 

• Posted

Dr. just prescribed potassium citrate but I can't swallow pills so won't be able to take it. :-( (does it really help?)

Sounds like you're an expert on kidney stones so wondering...does every one cause excruciating pain and vomiting? My first one in '05 was 2mm and I thought I was going to die it was so awful. Next one was in '13 and not quite as awful, but still really bad. Now I brace for this next one. I had 3 trips planned, which I guess I'll have to cancel for fear it will start passing. I live with dread and fear! I've talked to people who say it's a mind over matter thing and to just stay active and try to carry on normally while it passes instead of sitting, focusing and waiting. I welcome your thoughts.

• Posted

There is a liquid form of potassium citrate, ask your doc for that. It's easier. 

Make sure to take with food as it really can upset your stomach (or it does me). I usually take mine 20 min after I eat.

there is a really good blogger who talks about not living in fear of the stones. You need to live your life. The travel, the getting out, helps distract from the pain.  

It it helps if you keep pain meds with you, but yes - it's usually the same. I've passed a lot of stones, some are dreadful and some a just uncomfortable. But I don't let the stones win. 

• Posted

So what do you do when the pain starts? Take a pain pills and continue life as usual? Can the pain pills help enough to go about your daily life? Both times I went straight to the ER for IVs til they passed. Can I manage at home? Im thinking the more ya think about it, the worse the pain is. Where do I find that blog about fear?
    • Posted

I was diagnosed over 10 years ago with ulcerative colitis & ended up producing many stones in both kidneys.  Dr said I am more prone to stones because of condition.  Pain on top of pain.  I was in ER a few times had lithotripsy by machine & in a bath of water because they were stubborn stones.  Have 12 stones in both sides.  The right side was the only side giving me pain.  Pain is different for everyone & nothing wrong with being scared.  This just means u need to keep on top of it however it works for u.  I can compare to childbirth because I done have children but I think that is a ridiculous comparison.  There are a lot of nerve endings that effect the pain.  First one that tried to pass caused me so much horrible pain like a knife being twisted in my side.  Hurt so bad I couldn't cry or scream because it was taking so much out of me.  I had no one around to help.  Finally able to call 911 after crawling to the phone.  I laid on floor shaking severely from pain.  Taken to ER given meds & sent home to schedule lithotripsy.  So I lived with a lot of anxiety & losing my job over health didn't help.  Sad when U worked for a lawyer who knew what he was doing when he tried to make me sign a letter of resignation so I couldn't get unemployment pay.  Anyway 10 years had gone by and in May this year the stones started up again.  Had litho on right side & today we started in the left kidney with largest being 4-5mm.  The left has never bothered me but had to make decision to be proactive because I too felt like ticking time bomb with 50/50 chance.  I hope I did not make the wrong decision because my right kidney has never been the same

After the past surgerys.  Once u have experienced this pain u will never forget it (unlike childbirth, so people say).  I know it's coming on as soon as the discomfort & pain start  when it's about 2 on pain scale.  I can

Immediately diagnose the pain as being a stone.  That's the moment u need to start a pain med.  I was also prescribed Flomax as they now see it helps women with stones to pass.  That does help.  As of now I do not have flank pain from surgery but abdominal cramping & pain from the stint the put in my bladder.  Can barely move or walk & constant urge to pee with nothing.  If u know your body & pain tolerance it's easier to manage mentally & physically.  It

Just so happened that another man was getting same treatment before me but he was 90 years old & many health complications.  Why I decided to do the left side because who wants to be surprised by stones passing when u are 90 & tired.  Sorry for long post but these blogs give me some comfort and I hope to help someone else.  

• Posted

OMG....your story terrifies me! And now I'very discovered that I can't take flomax cuz I can't swallow capsules and they can't be broken apart! :-(

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.