Feeling like Citalopram might be "overkill".

Posted , 6 users are following.

(If you are in a rush, skip to the end for my question!)

Hi all, I've spent most of the morning reading your posts on this topic. I've gleaned that everyone should expect side effects while getting used to the drug, but that is actually not my concern in this case.

I'm a 41 year old male and I smoke and drink, both within moderation (though I aim to quit smoking this year). I eat pretty healthily and my BMI is ideal. I'm not very active, but doing physical activities is something I generally tolerate very well.

I've been coping with very on/off mild to moderate to severe anxiety for about 10 years. Before realizing what I had was anxiety, it was much worse. At one point I could barely go outdoors, and though I was terrified of hospitals (I think I have a PTSD-type condition after a pericarditis situation trauma, where I was along and sure I was dying of a heart attack in the ER) I was also terrified to be more than a 5 minute drive from one.

Eventually I got over my panic attacks for the most part - the key for me is actually a little morbid but I'll share anyway. Short of actually being suicidal, I did "give up" fighting the imaginary battle against impending death. That is to say, my reaction to panic (in my case a feeling that I'd 100% definitely die of a heart failure at any moment) eventually became one of "well fine, if I'm gonna die, then just get it over with already". It also sort of led to anger and taunting of a supreme being I actually don't believe in. "You want me (god)? Come and take me, then!" Anyway, I digress.

After several weeks and possibly months of this new laisser faire attitude toward my own survival, I noticed RAPID diminishing of my panic attacks and anxious feelings in general. This lasted about a year or so, with virtually no anxiety. Then I moved.

I had a lot of stress with the move; new job situation, money stresses, extreme loneliness and other issues. My anxiety came back with a vengeance and my old tricks weren't working.

For a year or so the anxiety came and went, I continued to use alcohol as self-medicating which actually worked pretty well (never drinking to get drunk, just a couple/few drinks a night to take the edge off).

Fast forward to a few months ago, and I started getting a lot of chest pain. It seemed to go away with burping most of the time, but old habits die hard and every sensation, tingle, stab or uneasiness sent me into panic mode.

My ears got hot, my pulse raced, I felt I couldn't breathe and got very lightheaded - I wanted to teleport home from wherever I was, and if I was driving at the time you could amplify those symptoms by a factor of 20. The underlying fear was STILL that I'd have a cardiac/pulmonary problem and not be able to get help, and would die. Traffic was rough. I'd be looking for ambulances stuck in traffic with me so that I could keep pace with them in case I had a problem. Absolutely ridiculous.

I finally got a family doctor, an advantage I'd not had since I was living back home with my parents 23 years ago. We did blood work, but it was a month of waiting as no one seemed able to find my results. My blood pressure was EXCELLENT and nothing indicated that I had any heart related problems.

Last night I finally got the results from my bloodwork. Even my liver and kidney function was now ideal, despite the drinking (my previous bloodwork a couple years ago showed very fatty liver). I was over the moon. My doctor said my health is actually exceptional. I was in "significantly better health than most people" he said. I feel like I can do anything now.

Here comes the dilemma. He prescribed me 5mg of Citalopram last night to even me out. I hesitate to take it, as I feel like my newfound confidence and excitement about life might be enough in and of itself. I feel like I can beat anxiety on my own, which is not to shame those who cannot. By all accounts, I should have probably been on SSRIs since 5 years ago and my life probably would have been a LOT better for it.

What do you guys/gals think? Should I wait it out or "just take the meds anyway"?

Great forum you have here, I will try to contribute as much as I can!

Jeff

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I fully understand your reasoning and agree that if alternatives can be found then they should be taken. All I can say is that they saved my life. At the age of 24 I got so bad, I tried to take my life. I had intensive counselling and family support. However I truly believe that the SSRI's saved my life. I agree, it numbs emotions but it gave me a chance to get back on track and to work on the root cause of my anxiety in a safe place. So my advice is still to not discount this medication as an option to give you a break while you work on other solutions. I wish I did not have to take them but it has been a life saver for me. 8 weeks into this course of medication, I am now in a place to look at alternatives to support me whilst I see through this course. I would never advise anyone to take these without proper medical consultation but for many millions of people they do work.  I run support groups and have seen the positive effects of this medication so please don't discount it. However I agree, if other non medical intervention can be found and it works then go for it

• Posted

http://annblaketracy.drugawareness.org/

• Posted

Another propoganda book written by a none doctor.for. 30$...nice
    • Posted

Hardly propaganda. I'm in groups of 10,000 + people who either survived tapering, cold turkey. All who use to be in denial like yourself. Good that SSRI's are your choice and work for you. For those who don't want to destroy there brains and have symtoms for life is why I spread the word. Been there and done it. If your happy with SSRI's, that wonderful. If your not, I'm helping those who want a way out and will do the tapering safely and properly. Take what you want in my comments and leave the rest. Obviously by attacking my first comment, you have anger issues. If you don't believe them, move on. I came here like you learning about what my Neurologists, Psychiatrists and Psychologist don't know or what there not telling us. Obviously it triggered your anger. I'm sorry.

If you get to the point where this information is needed, your welcome. I wish you well with your life on SSRI's.

• Posted

No need to buy the information. Plenty of information from her and many others. Especially citalopram should be illegal on Facebook. Alot of successful and healed SSRI survivor always there to help those in need.
    • Posted

No anger...here!! Without medicine of any type there would be alot of dead humans on this Earth..trust and believe...
    • Posted

PS.im going to enjoy the ride for 25years... peace
    • Posted

One last thing o2g20 wasn't asking how to withdraw...he was asking for support on a 5milligram tablet of celexa he hasn't even taken...duh..

• Posted

That's the other way around. All the mass murdered we're under the influence of psych meds. I know of 3 personal friends who committed suiside taking SSRI'S. The more you respond, the more information I'll send you as proof of why I spread the word about SSRI's.

Remember, slow tapering no more than 2-5% every 2-4+ week's. Slow and steady. Omega 3's, magnesium Glycinate or theonate very helpful. Cognative behavioral therapy.

http://www.ssristories.net/

• Posted

All the email notifications went to my span! Thanks for all the great comments - reading them now to catch up!
  • Posted

All the email notifications went to my spam! Thanks for all the great comments - reading them now to catch up!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.