Feeling like pee is stuck at the end of urethra

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, I'll try not to put too much boring info but I'll write what I think is important. :-) I'm female, 22

I withdrawed slowly from 20mg citalopram and 19.5.18 was when I got to 0mg. I think it was 1 week later (25.5?) I started getting the feeling where after I pee, I feel like there's a tiny bit left right at the entrance of my urethra but usually nothing more comes out and I do feel like I'm completely emptying my bladder every time. I assumed it was a UTI and stupidly waited 2 weeks. On the 8th this month I finally went to the nurse - the symptom wasnt worse or better but I was starting to panic about nerve damage from ads. She said I had a UTI (3 things showed up on the stick I forgot exactly what, plus high temperature) and was treated with an antibotic beginning with N?

It was a 3 day course (took me 4 days because I started in the evening) but I was no better at all. I went back on 12.6 and got trimiphrim (sorry can't spell it) for 5 days. I was starting to feel somewhat better on the 2nd day and then I stupidly had protected sex (with my long term partner) on the 4th day.. it didn't last long though because I had burning pain (I'm not sure if that was related to the UTI though because it was my 2nd period day and I'm usually more sensitive as well as I don't think there was enough lube). The rest of the day and yesterday (last antibiotic) I feel even worse! I feel so stupid for having sex during a UTI! And now today I still have the same stuck feeling. That day I had sex I also strained to pee alot afterwards (to see if I could get the stuck feeling out) and since then the rest of my urethra feels itchy/aroused and a dull ache sometimes. I'm starting to wonder if it's even a UTI because surely after 2 courses I should be better now?

Anyway my questions are:

Do I need more of the same antibiotic since it was working until I stupidly had sex?

Do I need a different antibiotic?

If everything comes back clear (I'm seeing the doctor either tomorrow or Wednesday), what does it mean that I still have symptoms?

Is it nerve damage?

Other symptoms:

Temperature ranging from 36.5c-38c

Side ache

Since attempting sex:

Almost constant burning

Discomfort under belly button

Random itching/aroused feeling in rest of urethra (behind pubic bone)

Better in mornings and worse throughout day

Sorry this is long and if it doesn't make sense, my anxiety has taken over my life since withdrawing, my head is all over the place and my thoughts are coming at like 100mph but on the outside I'm such a zombie. My biggest fear that's taken over my life for 2 years now is the fear of PGAD (persistent genital arousal disorder), Pundendal neuralgia, intistial cystitis and nerve damage. And now I feel like I've finally gotten them so yeah I'm very anxious and suicidal. sad

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi Karmaby

We note from a recent post which you have made to our forum that you may be experiencing thoughts around self-harm. If we have misinterpreted your comments then we apologies for contacting you directly. But if you are having such thoughts then please note that you are not alone in this, and there are people out there that can help.

If you are having these suicidal thoughts then we strongly recommend you speak to someone who may be able to help. The Samaritans offer a safe space where you can talk openly about what you are going through. They can help you explore your options, understand your problems better, or just be there to listen.

Their contact details are on our patient information leaflet here: https://patient.info/health/dealing-with-suicidal-thoughts, which also offers lots of other advice on how you can access the help you may need.

If you are having such thoughts then please do reach out to the team at the Samaritans (or the other people detailed in our leaflet) who will understand what you're going through and will be able to help.

Kindest regards

Patient

• Posted

I know it probably feels as if you’ll never get better but believe me it will. A 3 day course of antibiotics in my experience isn’t long enough. At least a week is required when I’ve had a UTI. Ask your doctor to get your urine sample cultured at the lab to get the exact info on which bacterium is in your system and therefore which antibiotic will be most effective. Good luck.
    • Posted

Apparently the bacteria is gone now but my symptoms actually feel worse. (My whole urethra feels kind of sensitive now and I feel it when I do certain movements just as if there's pee in there) He didn't give me any antibiotics but hes sent it off to the lab and I'm seeing him again next week (I think that's mostly because I had such an anxious break down infront of him though lol) and he's also referred me to an urologist. He said he doubts there's anything phsycially wrong because there's no pain. In the end he just blamed my anxiety and aspergers really.. rolleyes

• Posted

Also thank you for replying and being so nice, I was worried I was going to get some bad responses for being anxious since that happened to me on an ANXIETY forum recently.. xD
  • Posted

The two antibiotics that you took were Trimethoprim and Nitrofurantoin.   The doctor should have prescribed a longer course.  A lot of doctors start out with this short courses and it's not enough to kill off the bacteria.  The bacteria returns and becomes more resistant to antibiotics.  It becomes a viscious cycle.   The key is to find the right doctor that will prescribe the right antibiotic for a longer period.  At this point, you probably need a stronger antibiotic.

The vaginal problem you have is separate.  You might have a bacterial infection.  I'd recommend a female probiotic and a visit to gynecologist.  

I don't know what makes you feel you have PGAD, or those other things.  Even if you do, none are serious life threatening things and all can be treated.   I DO understand what misery anxiety can bring.  Maybe you should have stayed on the antidepressant or maybe start on a different one to control your anxiety.

• Posted

Thanks so much for replying and being understanding. smile I went the doctors yesterday and he said the infection is gone but I'm still getting the feeling that right at the entrance there's more pee! In fact the feeling started spreading to the rest of my urethra since yesterday morning so I really thought it was worse but apparently not. I still have a temperature around 37c sometimes lower or higher so maybe I'm just recovering?

I'm seeing a urologist soon but the Dr said if I'm not feeling pain he really doesn't know what it could be. He ruled out intestial cystitis I think but never answered me about the possibility of pundendal problems. He mostly just said it's pheriphial problems caused by my head and I'm more subseptable because I have aspergers.. I've had psychosomatic symptoms before and I know the difference, this feeling is only triggered by physical things and never stress. I'm so confused. As for the antidepressants, the whole reason I came off them was because of the fear of nerve problems, I definitely don't want to go back to them and would rather have therapy etc to fix the anxiety rather than masking it with those damaging things. sad

Sorry that was a long response hah, thanks again for replying I'll keep this post updated when I know more!

• Posted

You seem to know a lot about uti and i would like an opinion.

from nowhere, but after stopping mirtazapine after three years i am now foour months clear of it. Suddenly i have had uti.  First locum gave me nitrofurantoin for 3 days.  Sample showed still e coli bacteria so i got another three days of nitro. Next sample showed still e coli so i got five days amoxicillin.  Next sample showd still infection somnow got seven days slow release nitrofurentoin again.  Apart from the fact that these make you feel hellish when taking them i am wondering why they are not working.  Before i was 60i never had any uti problems, before imhad mirtazapine neither.  Some say it is the anti dep,has decreased immunity, others say it is age.  Gp suggested estrogen pessaries may help build up lining.  Also gp friend suggested probiotics, do i take optibac or just use activia? I am on warfarin, dont think that helps.  This latest dost of nitro has given me more ache than i had and i feel lousy.  Where do i go from here if it doesnt work and why use it for a third time?

• Posted

I haven't taken an antidepressant for more than 10 years.  I was on many different ones over the years, but never had an UTI's from them.   None of them did anything for my depression or anxiety, so I just stopped trying them.   Benzodiazepines, as addictive as they can be, are the one thing that controls anxiety.  If taken carefully and not abused, they are life saver for some.

With the UTI's, the reason it may sound like I know a bit about them is because I spent darn near a year relentlessly researching things related to them. 

Ann, I got my first UTI 10/16 at age 70.  I'm not exaggerating when I say that less than 1 week after going off each antibiotic, the Ecoli was back.  I had tried Bactrim, Nitrofurantoin, Augmentin, Keflex.  Each a couple of times.  It went on for 6-7 months like this.   It wasn't until I started Ceftin (Cefuroxime) that my UTI's ceased.  I did 10 days of 500mg 2x a day and then 250mg 2x a day for two and one-half months.  That was longer than the doctor recommended, but I was so sick of the UTI's I decided to stay on the antibiotic longer.  Miraculously when I went off it in June 2017, the Ecoli was gone.  This month now makes a year clear of UTI.   

The other thing is that I started the Estrogen cream in October 2016.  It takes a while for that to get absorbed in the tissue.  With menopause, the tissues become thin and more prone to allowing the bacteria to get in.  According to my urologist, the bacteria get into the vagina and from there to the urethrea and bladder.   So, you want the probiotics to make sure the antibiotics aren't killing off the good bacteria vagina and intestines.    I would choose the cream rather than the pessaries.  You want to put some estrogen on the exterior tissues and also (according to my urologist) you don't need to insert the estrogen high up into the vagina with a plunger.  Just use the finger to due it in the lower vagina.

I also take optibac and can't say if it's the best or not.  I don't like yogurt so activia wouldn't be something I'd try.

Clearly, one's immune system has someting to do with how easily we can fight off any infection.

For you, if I recall, you are limited to the antibiotics you can take due to the other medications you take.  I thought I suggested on another thread that you try Cefuroxime.  Perhaps it was a different poster.

The one thing I can never get a good answer about is on Nitrofurantoin.  There is one type that requires taking 4x a day and another type that is extended release on you only take 2x a day.   Why would anyone chose 4x when you could take 2x?     There must be a benefit to the 4x.   

• Posted

Hey sorry to hear that you're going through that it sounds so annoying! Antidepressant withdrawals do lower your immune system and for some reason makes you extra prone to UTIs! Because you have e-coli I definitely recommend you get D-mannose powder (not the pills) and follow the instuctions on how many mg to take. It's natural and apparently gets rid of e-coli UTIs every time, I've never tried it but googling UTIs it has been recommended ALOT! smile Cranberry pills should help too and eat some immune boosting foods (but avoid anything sugary during a UTI because it might irritate your bladder more).

Also if you want to, take vitamins too like vitamin C, Omega-3 fish oil, vitamin D, magnesium, calcium because these help with your nervous system (which is under alot of strain during and after withdrawals) and alot of these also help with UTIs. Take B vitamins (like B12 and B6) but only AFTER you're completely healed from the UTI (wait maybe 1 or 2 weeks after it's gone) because B vitamins are so important for your nervous system but they can be a bladder irritant which is the last thing you need right now!

Definitely take probiotics too! I'm not sure which ones exactly, I bought the first ones I saw but it's probably worth googling the best ones to take for UTIs. 2 more things, after infections and antibiotics you usually get thrush so make sure to look out for that so you can get a thrush pill from a pharmacy or doctor if you start feeling some irritation (usually burning). Another thing is, your doctor really should have given you a different antibotic each time because I thought when one doesn't work, there's no point trying it again? So maybe ask for different antibiotics? Just whatever you get, avoid cipro and fluoroquinolones! (Google it if you need to!) Hope you get better soon and also huge congrats on getting off antidepressants! smile

• Posted

Thanks for your reply.  I am afraid i cannot take many alternative therapies due to warfarin so it is cutting down my optionss.  Yes youre right they should have tried a different antibiotic but dr whom gave it retires next week, i dont think she cares what happens.  All i know is nitrofurontein is making me have insomnia and an waking very depressed.  I dont want that to get worse again somi wonder if its thr antibiotic making it worse.

yes youre right after anti depressants im sure the immune system is down and needs help. I have bought activia lrobiotic yogurts hoping they may help a bit but the antibiotic is making me feel sick so cant take them just now.  Another six days of this then nomdoubt the culture will still show e coli, dont know what happens then.  All i know is imfeel quite ill,just now and want it to go away.  Would,throw these in bin if i knew they werent going to work!

• Posted

The yoghurt should help yeah smile if you can see another doctor or prescribing nurse just make sure they know that nitrofurontein isn't working for you and you need one different from what you've already been given. The fact they're making you feel bad is just another reason you shouldn't take it, your body is so sensitive enough after antidepressants, definitely don't want to irritate or make it worse. Really hope you feel better soon!

• Posted

Thank you. I have been trying to keep going with nitrofurentoin but it is making me so sick i think ill have to stop.  I hope any others wont make me so ill.  I will try activia if i can keep,it down.  Many people say d mannose but im not sure i can take it with warfarin.  I feel so ill with this antibiotic, together with up every hour in night to loo.  I am drinking lots of water but still this nausea persists.  Dont know where this came from , never had it before in all my life and now ive had so many antibiotics my system must be totally immune tomthem.
    • Posted

The nitrofurantoin is making me want to vomit so i cannot tolerate it any more.  I have been given the pessaries as you discuss but i would rather have the cream so will ask for it next time im at dr.  Do you think its just as good?   I have had 4 and 2 nitrofurantoin, the 2 is a double dose at once and made me feell much more sick. Will ask about cefuroxime
    • Posted

I'm not sure iwth pessaries you take, but generally all the estrogen works the same, whether it is cream or suppositories.  I use estrace.   

Are you eating with the nitrofurantoin?  It needs to be taken with food.  I have read lots of reports from people that can't take it and other antibiotics.  It didn't bother me.

Whatever antibiotic someone is on for uti, after 1-2 days the symptoms should be decreasing a lot and gone by day 3 if the antibiotic is working.   My symptoms would decrease after 1 day.

• Posted

I know posted this was a couple of years ago, but i'm having these exact same symptoms now and cant figure out what's wrong. Did you ever find a solution?

• Posted

It was part of my withdrawals, it lasted about 2 years and just sorta phased out by itself along with other withdrawal symptoms.

I did meet someone else with the same symptom although I can't remember if she was/had taken any meds, she couldn't figure out what caused hers. I think tension might possibly contribute? Sorry I can't be of much more help, I wish you the best of luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.