feeling like something is stuck in my throat

Posted , 6 users are following.

For about 6 weeks now I have felt like there is something stuck in my throat. My only other symptoms are I feel it when I turn my head and move it up and down. I also feel it when I press on my Adams apple area. I also work on the phones and my throat/neck aches after prolonged talking and it

feels so strained I then get ear ache. I have no reflux symptoms so pretty

sure its not that. I also do not smoke and never have. Any clues

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi, if you have been to your doctor or ENT and they have confirmed there is nothing in your throat. It may be globus sensation it is caused my anxiety. I get it it's awful, it does go eventually. I work on the phones too and it makes it worse.
  • Posted

Hi. I agree with the previous reply. If you have had it checked by your G.P and/or ENT department and they can find nothing there, you probably have globus. One of the treatments I had was with a speech therapist, who gave me exercises to relax my throat muscles. She said Globus was common amongst people who use their voices a lot, such as teachers, call centre workers etc. Like you, I have no symptoms of acid reflux, and the medication prescribed to me did not help the sensation of a lump in the throat. My consultant called it 'silent reflux'. The anxiety it causes seems to make the feeling much worse and I found that at least seeing that other people on this site have many similar symptoms was the best way of relieving the anxiety, if not curing the globus itself.
    • Posted

Hi ,

I'm a contact centre agent , is this a rare condition, i mean globus? Still can't find the answers to this condition. how long will it lasts or will it be with meĀ  forever?how often do you go to your speech therapist?.

thanks.

• Posted

Doesn't seem to be that rare. My G.P diagnosed it on my second visit.

if you read other peoples comments on ,this site, you will see that there are lots of variations of the condition. Some people suffer with for years, eg Globus Kid, while others find that it comes and goes, for no apparent reason. I no longer attend the speech therapist as it didn't help in the slightest. My G.P has had me do three endoscopies, a barium swallow, and many other tests to try to establish what was causing it. I simply had to accept that they could provide no real cause or remedy for the condition. I have had it for about eighteen months. For me, it is definitely exacerbated by anxiety. ( I am only just post menopausal, which in itself can increase feelings of anxiety) Ironically, one of the first prescriptions I was given was diazepam, to relieve tension in the muscles and reduce anxiety. ( I was convinced I had throat cancer). While this helped to some extent, I was not happy about committing myself indefinitely to taking such a thing. I'm sorry I can't give you a magic solution. It just seems to me that if you worry about it, the symptoms only get worse.

• Posted

Thank you very much. this meantĀ  a lot to me.I just wish that there's a Dr who can finally find a medical breakthrough about Globus.I'm very thankful for this site. I've learned from stronger people how they manage stress and anxiety.I think I should work on my coping mechanisms, sad truth is that I only became aware how stressful my life is if it weren't for globus,it's the most difficult conundrum i ever had.

take care for now. thanks again.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. I am still waiting for the ENT appointment which isn't til June! I am sorry to say it hasn't got any better as my throat and neck is aching more now and my voice just sometimes weakens and cracks up. It strained so much the Dr said I had pharyngitis. She got quite stressed with me when I got upset in appointment and told me my symptoms were confusing for her to diagnose. I just want them to diagnose me so that I can move forward!
  • Posted

I don't think your doctors response is very helpful. When you are feeling anxious the last thing you need is a G.P who is confused. Has she carried out a blood test to check for pharyngitis?

The symptoms you have with your voice straining and cracking are the same as mine. My Consultant showed me during an endoscopy on camera how there was inflammation in my throat, caused he said, by acid reflux. As I didn't feel like I had acid reflux, it didn't really convince me. He said that silent reflux often was obviously what I had.

i know I keep coming back to the same thing, but anxiety really doesn't help, and i am sure your stress levels must be going through the roof at the moment. Good luck with the ENT appointment. Not long to go now!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.