Feeling Lonely

Posted , 4 users are following.

Feeling isolated. My family and friends don’t understand symptoms of ME/fibro. It seems my personality has changed.I have become more sensitive, and fearful that the few friends are. Distancing themselves. Anyone else feel this way?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I'm so sorry to hear that you're family and friends do not understand. Maybe you can find a video or book for them to take a look at so they can get a better understanding of how debilitating this illness can be! My personality is definitely different when I'm feeling exhausted, not that uncommon. Are you homebound or can you function some? Do you have both good and bad days/periods or are you symptoms constant? I think all of us (at times) have felt lonely and isolated. Hope you have someone in your life that is understanding! 

• Posted

Yes things have improved. After being bedridden for 2 1/2 years I started having days i could walk(very slow) but walk !  I  live in the MN and about 20yrs go there was a weekly support group.  It really made a difference. People understand and we shared useful resources. I miss that group am so grateful to find my people.
    • Posted

Thanks Kpd. I am exhausted now.hope to reconnect soon. : )
  • Posted

Sorry Robin, I have the same problem and I’ve been diagnosed with ME/CFS for eight years. Family really do not understand, because some days at least for me can be really good. But then there is the “fall” or complete stop to my energy. I feel like it’s never gong to end and I’m not going to get through it. Friends are few and far between. I have no answer. However, there are doctors who are willing to talk with your spouse and family if they are willing. I’ve never seen a video, but perhaps there are some. Good luck. Hopefully happier times too. 
    • Posted

I have some very good days which I think it confused many people. They don’t understand that some days I function well- they don’t see me whenwhen I am sick. So grateful for everyone’s replies.
    • Posted

"they don’t see me when I am sick." This is often a problem for understanding this illness.

I do not know where you live, but there are many ME online help groups and some of them have material which explains ME. This often helps.

To become more sensitive and fearful when you are more vulnerable that you used to be is natural.

Friends is a problem. They live at another pace, and to some extent in another world. Only the best of friendships can survive this, but there is the option of finding new friends who live at our pace, for reasons of ME or other illnesses.

Adaption is the key. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.