Feeling loopy

Posted , 4 users are following.

Can’t remember if I posted  about this earlier, thought I did. Feeling loopy, memory loss, off balance,  Getting off gabapentin. 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Nowbdown to 300 a day so far nothing but a little burning in feet we will see...how long you been off? 
    • Posted

Off for 2 days now, feeling withdrawal but hanging in there. You too.. we'll all get through this.

• Posted

I am trying to reduce my dose. Have been down to 300 mg for a couple of weeks. I was actually started on it for GI issues.  While on it, I developed small fiber neuropathy in my feet, even this med is prescribed for that!  I noticed pain in my feet and some cramping. Have no idea if de reading in the cause but have now increased back to 400 mg.
    • Posted

I am taking magnesium chloride right now and increasing dose to 300mg a day b4 I wean off of the 300 then I will take it every other day for a week then off. I take it for occipital neuralgia 
    • Posted

Yes, Gaba is prescribed for that, was for me. Though now I'll take the tingly toes over this med. If want to reduce, I would go slow to minimize withdrawal symptoms.

• Posted

Hello, oh yes all of them and more. I would sometimes be so dizzy I could hardly walk holding on to furniture. I would go to restroom and back to bed. I was nauses all the time, anxiety through the roof and very weak. So much more., took me a bit to figure it out what was going on. So I ended up going back on my original dose. I'll need my doctor's help maybe 10mg at a time. It's been horrible.. I don't wish this on anyone. I've been on it for years. It has made me gain weight. I lost almost 10 lbs but I know I'll gain it back now. Not happy at all....

• Posted

The dizziness and disorientation, confusion, losing balance, bad... they seem worse with withdrawal, been 2 days and was at emergency room last night. Maybe better to go slow like you are doing; hang in there. Not sure it was a good idea to quit this quickly for me. 
    • Posted

I gained weight too and can't get it off!  Paid for NutriSystem for 3 months, pretty much stuck to the diet and lost 8-10 lbs!!  I had to increase back to 400 mg to see if the foror pain and cramping would ease up.  Feel like I will never get off this med.

• Posted

I was started on 100mg 3 months ago for mild neuropathy in toes, for one week then twice a day next week then three times a day 3rd week and stay on it. Low dose but side effects were debilitating. I tapered myself off sometime in December, can't remember when, haha... Down to 2 then 100mg/nighttime. None last 2 days. Withdrawal is terrible. I went to the emergency room midnight last night, blood pressure was up, felt anxious, flu symptoms, etc etc, awful. They said maybe go back on it? Nope!

So Doc recommended 400mg magnesium to help get through and said I should be ok since was a low dose. 

?I'm hanging in there.. will get through this!

• Posted

Goes to show.. thought I posted earlier and don't see it. Could it be memory issues, haha? 

Anyway, others have mentioned magnesium and my doc recommended it for a calming effect during withdrawal. And a neuropathic over the counter cream, has a little lidocaine in it and helps the toes feel better. I mentioned that my husband being supportive and massaging my toes helps. Doc said tell him I recommend it. And he put it in his discharge summary - "Magnesium 400mg and massage" Lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.