Feeling low and ill again

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all

I've spoken with many of you on here and how we're coping with Venalfaxine. Sorry I've not replied in the last couple of days but I've been feeling really low and ill again.

I'm taking Venalfaxine 3x75mg - Pregablin 4x100mg - Mirtazipine 1x15mg.

Don't know if I coming or going I'm in bed for about 16 hours a day, I have flu like symptoms, a sore tongue, lethargy like you wouldn't believe, sweating terrible and now pain in all my joints.

I've suffered with depression for over 10 years and have taking hundreds of different meds and none are working I don't know what to do!! I feel so low sad

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Neil,

​Just want to see if this post goes through before continuing!

• Posted

Hi Neil,

​Just want to see if this post goes through before continuing!

• Posted

Hi Neil,

?It sounds as if you do have flu, or a viral infection. I would say that the physical symptoms you describe don't sound like side-effects from ADs.

?I am on Mirtazapine 30 mgs; Venlafaxine 150 mgs; Pregabalin 125 mgs (currently dropping from 150 mgs by 25 mgs a month); Trazodone 50-100 mgs a month.

?I had a very bad episode of anxiety and depression at the end of last year, with severe insomnia. Off work for nearly two months. My mirtazapine was upped from 15 mgs to 30 mgs, and i was put on Pregabalin 150 mgs. Plus Trazodone for sleep. The Traz has been quite helpful. Can't take Zopiclone, and I find antihistamines, e.g. Phenergan, make no difference.

?The Preg doesn't seem to have made any difference to my anxiety, that I can tell, so I am weaning off, very slowly.

?I was switched from Citalopram to Venlafaxine at the beginning of June. Back came the severe insomnia, anxiety and depression. Off work for four weeks.

?I would say that it took about six-seven weeks before I settled down - a bit - with Ven. Some people take longer; some not. I would give it more time.

?I totally relate to what you say about going on new meds; cycling off others; dealing with severe side-effects. You feel overloaded.

?I've got every sympathy with you, Neil: I know how hard it can be. Don't come off anything quickly: it will almost certainly be a recipe for disaster. Hang on in there!

?Really hope things improve.

?

• Posted

Thank you Amanda

I was also on Trazadone but the doc wanted me to take Ven, he said the two meds can't be taken at the same time.

xx

• Posted

My psychiatrist vetoed trazadone when the GP wanted to prescribe it with the ven and mirt. I take a low dose of haloperidol now as a sedative.
  • Posted

Hi Neil and Pixie,

?Looks as if I may have a problem with taking Ven plus Trazodone.

?I was prescribed Ven by a psychiatrist at the beginning of June, but no mention was made of the interaction between Ven and Trazodone; I've been on Trazodone since the end of last year. For me, insomnia is by far the worst of my symptoms to manage when I am depressed and anxious, so I am understandably very reluctant to drop the Traz, because I fear a resumption of the insomnia and all the problems that go with it.

?I don't sleep brilliantly, even on the Traz, but it is much better than it was.

?Also, I am reducing Pregabalin, and the doc told me to only reduce one med at a time.

?I think I need to go back to the GP for advice, as I have been discharged by the psychiatrist. I have only seen him twice: once in January, after things had been very bad for me, and once in early June, just before my last episode of mental ill health.

?Thanks Neil and Pixie for your input.

?Amanda xx

• Posted

I would speak with your GP make him/her aware of your meds. Look online as well to see if any interact with another. Also doesn't sound like your psychiatrist is any good if he's stopping your visits, I would ask to see someone else. Take note of any side effects and show your GP. I usually forget so I've started to write them down, it helps to get a better understanding.

Thanks

Neil xxx

• Posted

Thanks Neil.

?I've had a quick look online, but can't see any adverse reactions re. Traz and Ven, but I think I need to investigate things more thoroughly. I have slightly reduced the Traz as of last night, because I know from experience that anything other than a small cut will probably rebound on me.

?I've only seen the psychiatrist twice, and he has discharged me after each visit. I suspect this is to do with a dearth of mental health provision in this area.

?I agree re. writing down side effects: it's very easy to get confused, particularly if you are on a number of different medications.

How are you doing now? I really hope you're beginning to feel better.

?Amanda xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.