Feeling low and without direction

Posted , 3 users are following.

I grew up in a family that doesn't really seem to care about anyone. My father suffers from a mental disability. I've always found it difficult to turn to him when I have needed to discuss things which bother me and my mother only cares for herself...both of these things have led me to not have what some others have. There have been so many times I have needed encouragement and someone to lean on but never had that and as time has gone on it's just made things worse for me and I don't know what to do anymore

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi themadchatter, get your story completely and just guessing but do you have a big and caring heart for friends or family whom are ill or need your support ?

Well " feeling low " 101 do unto ones self as you would unto others ! Be kind to yourself through your struggles and if you're struggling seek help from GP or other medical services if not in UK as you may have more going on and may need counceling, meds etc ?

Keep well xx

• Posted

I don't want to come right out and say I have a big heart. However I do try to be there for my Dad and my other siblings however I can. I'm not in the UK, but Australia instead. I've tried to find a counsellor to speak to about things that are on my mind but didn't get anywhere with that...and I don't exactly have the cash to pay a psychiatrist
  • Posted

Hi I emphasise with you as my homelife was very similar. My father didn't suffer from mental health problems but didn't understand emotions so I could never go to him.  My mother was too busy surviving an unhappy marriage and her own frustrations to emotionally care for either me or my sisters.   Physically yes but emotionally no.

I used to get very upset trying to get support from them and one day stopped trying.  I got it instead from other family or from friends.   Look to them instead.  

My sister once said something which make me think.  She said there was never any kindness in our family and she was dead right.   She said never to underestimate pure simple kindness and I never have.   I am a kind person coz I learnt to be from others.  

You sound young - do you still live at home?   If so you can move away in time and find your own life and friends.   Seek good people in life and stay away from toxic ones.   Don't expect from your family - it is good to hope but not expect. 

I hope this has helped a bit love.  Take care.   Bev x

• Posted

My whole extended family is pretty much the same...it's been years since we all got together for parties and things like that and it's now gotten to the point where some family don't get on with other members. And because of life happening the friends that I had 7 or 8 years ago I barely see anymore because we drifted apart and they were having weddings and starting families and I was struggling with my own life. It's not easy to make new friends once you reach your late 20's. I am 29 years old. My parents divorced when I was 10 or 11 and lived with mum until I was 17 and then moved out of home and pretty much had to grow up at that point because I was with new people but they didn't really understand what my life had been like before that point
    • Posted

Please believe in yourself and don't give up. I'm 48 and the close friends I have have mostly come in the past 5 years since the breakdown of my 20 year marriage. Like-minded people can be found in all sorts of places: in my case - church, sports club, bridge club, dog-walking, mental health support group.

Sending you a big hug and hoping to hear some positive news from you in the very near future. Hang in there! We are a sociable species and were not designed for solitary life. One thing I would say is not to have too high expectations of others. They are not all as sensitive, caring & willing to give unconditionally as those you will find on this forum. Start off gently and your gut will let you know who you can begin to trust and let into your life.

Wishing you happiness & peace on your journey :-)

Digsby xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.