Feeling low - Switching from Citalopram to Sertraline

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been on Citalopram for 2 years now, I'm 21 years old and suffer with anxiety and depression, diagnosed for 2 years but really was suffering 1 year prior. I've recently felt like I'm losing myself and slowly becoming numb. I spoke to my doctor, about me not sleeping and having panic attacks most days after a 6 month period of feeling under control. I have irrational thoughts all day every day about people around me dying, if I feel low I start to think my friends and family would be better off if I wasn't around. Not to mention a constant daily struggle of getting out of bed, and fighting back my tears ( I work in customer service so I can hardly cry all day ) I had 2 weeks off work back in December, which was enough for me to find myself again and find out what I need to do to fix myself. My partner is very supportive however his mum isn't, she doesn't understand mental health and calls me "silly" "daft" - she has now said yesterday to me I am affecting her life as I am only comfortable at home, which means my boyfriend being at my house with me as he wants to make sure I'm okay. I now feel absoultely worthless and hopeless, that I'm getting in the way and affecting everyones life and  

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

- sorry pressed enter. " : and I don't know what to do anymore. Any help?

• Posted

Hi Ellen,

?My heart goes out to you. I don't have the answer to "cure" you but you must remember that you are very brave and courageous. Living with anxiety and depression is hard work and that is what people like your partner's mother don't understand. You are amazing, you are managing to get into to work everyday.

?You should keep you doctor in the loop and get the help you need. Is there any therapy going for you?

Try and remember the good 6 months you had and the 2 weeks before Christmas, those times will come back again.

I am 60 and started my first anxiety and panic at 16 but I have had many many good years with the bad times being very short in comparison.

?You are worth it, never forget that. Your family and friends love you and NO they would not be better without you. That would ruin their lives as well. They are better for having you in their lives because they now know how anxiety and depression can affect people and if it ever happens to them, they will have you to turn to for support.

?Irrational thought are a bugger, aren't they. They can be about anything, yours have decided to be about people dying, other people's may be about somethig else. I have found that trying to "say hello" to them but trying not to give them too much attention (they are prima donnas) can lessen their presence over time. I suppose it is coming to terms with them.

I tell my partner about them like guess what crazy idea I had today and in talking about it like that it helps to put it into perspective.

?I completely understand you wanting your boyfriend to be with you,  it is like a reward for getting through the day. His mum will not understand but if it's affecting her like then it is her problem and not yours. You are so young and you deserve alot ot TLC.

?I am pleased he is so supportive. I hope he never has any problems but if he does then you will be there for him, it works both ways and at the moment it is you that needs the support.

?Take care of yourself and be a bit selfish.

• Posted

Hi Ellen, sometimes you just have to let things you hear go, like in one ear and out the other. It is good you have a supportive partner. So are you taking sertraline now? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.