Feeling low with my back pain

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have had back pain on and off since August. It did improve during the month of November but returned in early December.

Because I have had a couple of UTI's in the last couple of years, my GP wants to send me to a urologist and thinks this could be causing a problem.

Personally I don't think it is. I thinkit could be either adhesions due to lots of operations or a back problem.

Who else should I be reffered to?

Today is a really bad day for pain and I feel so miserable. it is affecting my daily life.

I am only on Ibuprofen and paracetamol.

Can anyone recommend anything better?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Ask the doctor for Gabapentin and cocodamol. I suffer with chronic back pain and they work well for me. Keep in touch. Good luck Wayne
    • Posted

I have some codeine phosphate but really don't like them, make me very light headed. Not sure I could do a full days work on them

• Posted

I have kidney disease and I am not allowed neurophen.

Have you tried a TENS machine and heat , hot waterbottle, heat pad etc for the backache?

​I assume that your dr sent off a specimen of urine for detection of any bugs?

I am sure the drs will find out what the pain is due to, the drs sound caring so plese try not to worry too much.

Personally I would lay off painkillers. How many a day have you been taking?

• Posted

GP sent off a urine sample and all OK with that. I have been trying to "not" take painkillers, however I don't think that is helping. I am taking them today every 4 hours. My last dose will be as late as possible tonight.

• Posted

I am not allowed any NSAIds due to repeated UTI's and kidney disease. My nephrologist gave me a list ofdrugs to avoid including phenacitin, nsaids, aka neurophen, ibuprofen, voltarol, ibugel, these are all nephrotoxic drugs. Best to check these out with your pharmacist.

Neurophen can actually causekindney pain andkidney pain can manifest itself as back pain. The dr is obviously exploring all avenues.Trust your dr.

• Posted

You could try low dose amitryptiline at night - better sleep might reduce the daytime pain.  they say sleep deprivation is a form of torture.
  • Posted

First of all why would you think that your doctor is wrong? It would certainly be a good place to start. But if you want to look at other options an MRI would not be out of line. And a visit to a neurologist would be a good next step. The neurologist would want to run the MRI so that he could then read that and determine what's wrong if anything with your back from MRI. But that's expensive and it's a lot cheaper to go to the urologist way first. You mention scar tissue from a lot of surgeries but you don't mention what kind of surgeries. Were they back surgeries? Also what age are you? Do these back aches correspond with your menses?

As for something to take for the back pain I wouldn't have anything more to suggest you're taking the right stuff. When my back pain started I couldn't take Ibuprofen but I took Aleve. I will say I did that for a year and it wrecked my stomach terribly. I ended up with GERD. So use caution because ibuprofen can do the same thing. Also use either heat or ice on your back. My physical therapist said it doesn't matter which one you use whichever one works for you. I use both depending on how I feel at the moment.

I hope I've helped you some. Let me know if you have any other questions.

• Posted

There are a number of protocols. Either sulphasalazines or methotrexate are first line - being the oldest and therefore the cheapest.
    • Posted

Why would I think my GP was wrong?? Perhaps because she sat back in her chair and said "I don't know where to send you" add to that, years ago i had an ectopic pregnancy and ended up in ITU. Don't really want to go into that on here but lets say the GP at the time could have done more in diagnosis.

Thanks for the advice about neurologist. I am also keeping a pain and medication diary.

• Posted

That's good that your keeping a diary. Make sure that you include your activities that day too, that way you can compare activities to pain level. You might also want to Google the pain level scoring method and use that in your diary. Pain is rather subjective and that will help give a number to your pain so to speak.

Sorry about the doctor comment, I did not know of the doctor's history. I wish you well and hope that you find out what the problem is soon. Happy new year.

• Posted

Hi Amanda, I am so sorry to hear you are having a bad day....I understand exactly how you feel I have been suffering with chronic pain for 3 and half years in my neck/shoulders and back ...I've been on so many different types of pain killers there all rubbish apart from amitrotyline there is two types this one relaxes the nerves and helps you to sleep there is an Nortriptyline this makes you less drowsy in the morning if you like me I work so I need to function....osteopath treatment also helps to relax the trigger points...and yes I do recommend a neurologist hosp I'm at the neurologist hosp in London I've been there 2 years and I've had many trigger point injections, infusions etc ...Unfortunately it dosen't take the pain away but enables you to manage the pain. ..a hydrotherapy pool also helps, Epsom salts in the bath reduces any inflammation you can buyou this fromantic eBay and soak in it for 10 minutes....another thing that's goods is a Tens machine it was recommended to me by my consultant it dosent take the pain away but it sends a different pain to the brain this costs £15 frominutes llyods chemist go for 4 patches it's better! I wish you all the best hun. .try the new meds I have written to you about these were prescribed to me by a private consultant in london and know the GP has to authorise them 😆

• Posted

Hi Amanda, I am so sorry to hear you are having a bad day....I understand exactly how you feel I have been suffering with chronic pain for 3 and half years in my neck/shoulders and back ...I've been on so many different types of pain killers there all rubbish apart from amitrotyline there is two types this one relaxes the nerves and helps you to sleep there is an Nortriptyline this makes you less drowsy in the morning if you like me I work so I need to function....osteopath treatment also helps to relax the trigger points...and yes I do recommend a neurologist hosp I'm at the neurologist hosp in London I've been there 2 years and I've had many trigger point injections, infusions etc ...Unfortunately it dosen't take the pain away but enables you to manage the pain. ..a hydrotherapy pool also helps, Epsom salts in the bath reduces any inflammation you can buyou this fromantic eBay and soak in it for 10 minutes....another thing that's goods is a Tens machine it was recommended to me by my consultant it dosent take the pain away but it sends a different pain to the brain this costs £15 frominutes llyods chemist go for 4 patches it's better! I wish you all the best hun. .try the new meds I have written to you about these were prescribed to me by a private consultant in london and know the GP has to authorise them 😆

• Posted

Try not to allow this to beat you i know it's hard. ...I started having already the neck and shoulders issues after a car accident i even lost numbness in my left leg so I know exactly how you feel. .massage also helps and accupature trust me I have tried and still trying everything. ...my miracle has been biofreeze cream you can buy this on eBay. ..use ice packs to relax the muscles and than a hot bottle good luck hun keep in touch 😊

• Posted

Amanda I don't know if you're in the US but if you are you can buy Epsom salts at a drugstore and you can get Biofreeze at most physical therapist office and chiropractor offices. Even pain management doctor offices sell it. So if you want to save on shipping you might call around those offices and see if they will sell it to you. Personally I have not tried the Epson salt soak although I know a lot of people that swear by it. I have had a masseuse put the Biofreeze on my back and was surprised at how well it worked.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.