Feeling miserable and hopeless due to my alcoholism.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm a 55 year old disabled man with a 40 year drinking career. Growing up, alcohol was my best friend. From my first experience with it, I knew I would do it as often as possible. I found short periods of sobriety, the longest being 5 years, 25 years ago in the AA program. Since then, I have lost friends, family, jobs, driver's licenses etc. etc. Now I'm losing my health and hope. I drink a fifth or more of whiskey every 1 or 2 days on 20 or so different meds. I tried AA many times over the years, also been through treatment. The obsession is terrible!

4 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Look for God.. He can deliver you into freedom. You are right you cant do this on your own...you need his help. Pray to him and promise he will answer you
  • Posted

Hi

I lost both my parent's through alcohol and I urge you to go to the doctor and get some help. I tried to get help for my parent's but they wouldn't listen. Please get in touch with your doctor and take it a day at a time. Good luck you can do this.

Lou

• Posted

Took.your advice this morning. Along with with being prescribed detox meds, Irecieved a dose of hope! Thanks lou
  • Posted

Hi,

I am a 67 year old disabled man, but I only became disabled after an accident when I was 61.

Up until then I had always drank but was classed by my gp as an "habitual drinker". Using that phrase rather than an "alcoholic " gave me hope.

After my accident I lost my business which had taken me many years to establish, my creditors were soon on my back and my bank and mortgage company were close on their heels. Then I did start drinking heavily, to the extent that a large portion of my meagre benefits were going on alcohol. I was in such intense pain through my injuries that my gp put me on morphine. I soon realised that if I wanted to be pain bearable then alcohol was not in the equation. I stopped drinking but found myself thinking about drink all the time. I became irritable and unbearable, mean and nasty, downright self pitying.

I needed something else to fill my time, I used to garden and do lots of diy when I was able now I couldn't.

I know it sounds stupid and too easy to be true but I started playing my ps3 gaming consul. This took my mind off the drink and gave my hands something too do. I had the drink next to me but found myself too busy to pick it up.

If you are serious about giving up you must find something to do to fill your time, a long lost hobby, walking, if possible.

Best of luck,

Mike.

• Posted

Thanks mike, my story sounds similar to yours. Right now, I'm in the mist of detox and appreciate the advice and words of encouragement

• Posted

Am so glad you went to the gp's. That was a major step. Take it a day at a time and keep busy.

Big hug

Lou

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.