Feeling odd head sensations, brain fog, anxious

Posted , 1 user is following.

Female, 19 years old

Here is a long timeline of symptoms that have been unsolved and make me quite anxious:

Last summer, on the very first night of a family trip to Italy, I started experiencing an odd head sensation that I find hard to describe, but seems similar enough to vertigo. For the whole trip, I was experiencing brain fog, head pressure, a weird vertigo feeling, trouble swallowing or feeling the need to focus extra hard to swallow, and general anxiety, which all seemed to be worse when upright or later at night or when there was lots of movement. This basically ruined my trip as I felt so unlike myself. I've been known to have hypochondria and go run to doctors about different symptoms, but this just felt too weird. Right after this trip I saw an ENT, who said my ears seem to look good (referring to possible vestibular problems). This was also the time that I moved to college for the first time, making my symptoms worse as I was under a lot of stress in the new environment. During the semester, I also developed head pressure, feeling of detachment, difficulty focusing and some visual floaters (blue dots, yellow lines), and my fingernail beds would go numb sometimes. I went to university health services several times over the semester and was sent around to several doctors, including a vestibular PT who diagnosed me with "vestibular migraines." On the dark goggle test, which can be hard to do correctly, she wrote that I have an "upbeating nystamus." My symptoms came and went throughout the semester by the end I was sent to get an MRI (with contrast). Saw a neurologist back home and she only found a tiny developmental blood vessel abnormality that she said was harmless. Sidenote: at the end of the semester I came down with some odd flu like sickness, where I fainted (felt nauseous, everything turned white and couldn't really hear then blacked out). Second semester of college, started working out more and felt better for a long while. Flash forward to start of quarantine and I had shortness of breath with the need to cough up mucus. That got better for a bit and then I had a relapse of my vertigo and brain fog, but this time it came after a burning sensation that I got on the right side of my lip, scalp, hand, and foot. The burning sensation happened for a few days and would affect different places each time, but all on the right side. On my morning walk lately, I've been feeling unsteady or tilted, possibly from the humidity. My shortness of breath is also back. I saw my neurologist again last week and she prescribed another MRI (no contrast) which I will be getting next week. This has got my mental health in shambles as I feel completely lost as to what could be wrong and how I can make myself feel more normal. If you have any ideas please let me know.

Other problems I have had/have:

• High Cholesterol (always had)
  • Enlarged lymph node on superclavical (biopsy showed it was fine)

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.