Feeling of being winded in back of ribs and stomach on fire

Posted , 6 users are following.

35 year old female. I have had this for the last 7 hours now. It was happening occasionally and a month ago doctor prescribed me with a month worth of lansoprozole. He said if it doesn't go away then camera down your throats needed. A week ago i finished the course and here I am. It's like a dull ache and the most uncomfortable feeling I've ever experienced.

Can anyone give advice or tips? I just want to go to sleep but can't!

I rang 111 and they said ring doctor in the morning but it's unbearable.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I have had years of burning in my stomach and it does feel awful. I am still in the process of trying to get it managed. When my stomach feels that bad I take Gavisgon extra strength and Rennies on top of Omeprazole just to relieve it. I had a camera down my throat 2 weeks ago and I am waiting to see my gastroenterologist again. If it doesn't go the camera down the throats will be the best option. Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Hey Louise,

There can be a bit of a backlash effect when you stop taking proton pump inhibitors, which is what lanzoprazole is. I had this when I stopped and I have, unfortunately, had your symptoms for 9 months now on and off. No camera down the throat yet because I'm a big chicken and too scared to do it but you can also get a barium swallow which helps them diagnose reflux. I have had blood tests and stool tests, and my stool tests showed I had yeast overgrowth and what I would say is too much bacteria. I get bloated and nausea after eating too. This week I'm going to try and cut out gluten since I seem to burp way less when gluten isn't in my diet! So far so good this morning. The burning and pressure feeling is so unpleasant so I hope it dies down. Gastritis, hernias and reflux are all common causes of this but in the case of reflux you want to find out the root cause so you can best manage it. Good luck! I should say as a message of hope I don't have symptoms every day now and they were really severe when I took omeprazole. But seriously, look further into things like diet and trigger foods for your answer because I've found the drugs don't always work!

• Posted

Hi,

Honestly don't be scared of having a camera down your throat. I had one 2 weeks ago and I was absolutely terrified but it wasn't as bad as I thought as I don't remember much of it. It can help find out what's wrong with you.

• Posted

I had the camera down my throat and it was awful.  I remembered all of  the procedure which made me want to scream when the camera went down my throat. The fact that I couldn't react because of the sedation distressed me greatly.  I had three weeks of horrible depression because of the sedation.  A stomach procedure that doesn't require sedation is always better.

• Posted

Hi Pippa,

I'm sorry that your experience was not a pleasant one. When I had mine it was nothing like that which is strange. I had throat spray and sedation and I only remember gagging occasionally but I was too out of it to care. The procedure felt like 30seconds to me but it actually took 5 minutes. You can have the procedure done without sedation but I personally would think that would be worse.

• Posted

I think a throat spray only would have been better for me because I am very intolerant to any type of sedation. Either I vomit or get depressed   My mum got the same reactions   I later read in a leaflet that depression for three weeks is a common side.effect of twilight sedation.

Local anaesthesia gives me less side effects. That being said, some give me bad side effects too. I have to tell the dentist everyttime about my intolerance to adrenaline based local anaesthetics because I don't always get the same dentist.  I can't cope with the XRay plate in my mouth either and start gagging and think I'm going to choke to death.

I also find swallowing tablets very hard and my throat sees them as foreign objects and pushes them out again.  I have to take a large amount of water to get my throat to accept them and sometimes soak the tablet in water for a few seconds to soften it 

• Posted

I wouldn't have been able to go through with procedure without the throat spray it numbed my throat so much I couldn't feel the camera go in or out. It's a shame you have bad side effects from the sedation as again I wouldn't have been able to go through with the procedure without it.

It's really weird about the swallowing tablets situation as that happens to me. I can barely swallow any tablets without choking or bringing them back up. I surprised myself when having the camera down as I thought I would choke. But the nurses told me you don't actually swallow the camera, you have to make a swallow motion so they can push the camera down further but because of the throats spray I couldn't feel it or maybe I did but I don't remember as i was sedated haha!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.