Feeling of doom on sertraline

Posted , 7 users are following.

hiya everyone

I have been suffering panic attacks for 2 months every few days so I asked the doctor what would help ( current coronavirus situation isn't helping )

I started sertraline Saturday and Sunday woke up feeling horrendous, shaking, dizziness,foggy head,really bad feeling of fear and doom which was making my body shake even more and panic.

I persisted a couple of days and the feeling didn't go ,all night when I'm sat watching tele shaking and feeling awful ,feeling of doom and that I am dying.

I'm on day 4 now and feel like I can't go on what should I do ?

is this normal so feel this bad or is it not suiting me ?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I was put on Sertraline 100mg and I had to take myself off of it. It caused an extreme panic attack. My whole body got high I couldn't talk my whole body was shaking I felt like I was going to die. So back to the doctor to see what else we could do it's either have anxiety or extreme anxiety and I'm hoping to one day just get rid of anxiety.

• Posted

Hi charlotte 301273,

I have been thinking of starting Zoloft and am grateful for your feedback. My doctor has also told me that it might make me feel worse before I feel better and I don't think that's acceptable. Because of this I'd like to tell you about an experience I had many years ago when going on to a tricyclic antidepressant before I was put on another antidepressant which worked fine without having adverse initial effects.

The tricyclic sent me into such a state I thought I was going nuts, the stress was unbelievable. My general practitioner didn't believe I was taking the full dose, which I was, and I continued for two more weeks to prove to him I was. I then stopped it as things got no better.

Soon after I saw a neuropsychiatrist who said that most general practitioners, and even some psychiatrists, were not properly informed about antidepressants. He said very clearly to me: "An antidepressant can take two to three weeks to begin working BUT if it's wrong for you, you'll feel it in a matter of days." I have never forgotten this and only wish I'd known it before taking the tricyclic.

The antidepressant he put me on was fantastic and, although I had to start slowly, due to potential nausea and build up the dose, there was no increase at all in my panic attacks or stress and soon I was free of them. Unfortunately the antidepressant I was taking, Nardil, ran into manufacturing problems eighteen months ago and I had to discontinue taking it.

When a person is vulnerable it is shocking that an antidepressant makes them feel worse in their anxiety symptoms before they feel any benefit and that is why I'm telling you my experience of all those years ago. Your experience now makes me think twice about Zoloft and the advice of some doctors. They may mean well but they aren't the ones taking the drug. You may think it is worth persisting and perhaps things will come good. Take care and don't go past your ability to cope before asking to try a different antidepressant.

• Posted

Hi,

I have just googled doom feeling when on sertraline and come across your post. just wanted to share my story if that helps.

I Literally started sertraline last Monday. I started taking it because my panicky moments become more sporadic and wanted to have more control over this. Was originally taking propranolol which i was taking as and when but found i couldn't always judge when i might get one.

My first dose was 50mg and by the evening i was not feeling good. I felt sick (my body was trying to be sick) the doom feeling was so overwhelming. having had panics before I feel i was rather aware but this felt very different, so so intense.

For the next 3 days i couldn't eat, i couldn't sleep, i felt lightheaded, headaches, jittery and the anxiety was so unbearable. worse than i ever had it before. i couldnt really do anything, was frightened about going out but not sure why. It was so so intense. I had to take time off work. I chose to stop as i couldn't manage this any longer.

doctor explained to me in some cases this does happen and is abit too much for some more than others.

Please dont feel your alone in this as i felt really silly that others managed through this and i couldn't. if you need to stop thats fine, if you can make it through thats great.

remember this is your journey and there are other ways for support if this doesn't work. thank you for sharing your story because you have made me feel better about my experience. i found it too hard to reach out online as my anxiety was so bad, i reached out to friends and family who all had different experiences but i just felt like i was either being 'too much' or was failing. everyone is different and we all manage different.

• Posted

Hello,

I've read your concerns. I'm a retired medical professional from the U.S. and will try to provide you information to help get you on the right path. Realize that people respond quite variably to SSRI medications and while there is mixed evidence that SSRIs are effective in treating Panic Disorder, there are a considerable number of people with Panic Disorder or significant chronic anxiety who experience a paradoxical reaction and find themselves suffering worse anxiety and/or increased frequency of panic episodes. Additionally, while some patients typically adjust to the effects of these medications within several weeks, others find that their symptoms either demonstrate no improvement or their symptoms grow steadily worse.

It's important to provide constant feedback to the prescribing physician because anxiolytics and antidepressant medications target neurotransmitters responsible for mood regulation. The results are quite variable and again, some patients can respond well while others experience an exacerbation of their symptoms.

The suggestion here is to promptly contact the prescribing physician and discuss other options.

Regardless, follow your doctor's instructions and the prescription until you've made contact with them to determine the best course to proceed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.