Feeling of fatigue in thighs and arms.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

I’m a 44 yr old male and have recently started getting a feeling of heavy fatigue in my thighs and Arms, sometimes lower arm but usually upper arm. I am a left BK amputee but don’t think that’s relevant because it happened 5 years ago and been fine with my prosthetic.

About 2 months ago I started getting this heavy feeling in the said areas. It feels like when you have done a real long run or workout the day before, the muscles feel really heavy and weak. I have trouble supporting myself when transferring from the couch into my wheelchair. The feeling comes on for about an hour then partially subsides, but usually comes back with full force in 2 hourly intervals. As I am writing this, even the iPad is feeling heavy and I’ve had to rest it in my lap.

i am on dialysis for kidney failure but have been for 3 years and this has only started since just before Christmas. I’m also diabetic but again was diagnosed 10 years ago and my control has always been really good. I have bloods drawn every month and nothing seems to be out of the ordinary on them.

The feeling can come on even when I’m just sitting or lying down an d not particularly having done any kind of physical exertion. Just feel heavy like lead and weak. I haven’t been to the doctor yet but will try to this week coming. The only news I’ve had is that the renal unit doctors said my January bloods look as good as can be expected for a kidney patient.

Any ideas much appreciated.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hey Matt. A lot of what you described sounds similar to what I go through. I have Limb Girdle muscular dystrophy and the areas mentioned are the ones most fatigued for me as well. Along with that, I haven’t had problems with my kidneys, but because of my muscular condition, my CK levels raise which puts me at risk for kidney failure if I don’t stay hydrated. This is pure guesswork, and that might not be what it is at all, you’re also a good 20 years older than me, but symptoms can appear whenever. I would definitely go to a doctor, and maybe take some vitamin supplements (I take creatine, L-carnitine, coq10 for my condition). Probably not much of a help, but good to let you know your symptoms aren’t that out of ordinarysmile 

-Peter 

• Posted

Thanks Pete. I’ll have a read of that.
  • Posted

I don’t know where you live but if its winter then muscle weakness in the cold is not uncommon. My myasthenia is doing the same thing as it gets colder. Thankfully we had one of the warmest Decembers on record, but now its January and its -12C and my legs are weaker. Make sure you check the whole gamut of blood tests, including CMP, CBC, thyroid (particularly), iron, and the hormone panels. Also, make sure you include Vitamin D and testosterone. If you have Type I diabetes then the autoimmune diseases are possibilities and many cause muscle weaknesses that can get worse in cold weather.
    • Posted

Thanks Peter. I'm in the UK near Stansted airport (soutn). It was 0 degrees C today but due to hear up. I'll look out for those in my next bloods.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.