Feeling of food stuck in throat won't go away ... feel hot and nauseous after eating

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all, so I've been on Prevacid for a few weeks now. I take 30mg every morning. Symptoms seem to be improving a little bit, but still every day my throat bothers me. And some days are worse than others.

It REALLY feels like there are particles of food stuck in my throat - a couple times I actually thought a couple particles were coming up but I just kept swallowing. I also have a phobia of vomiting so I'm afraid of this problem leading to that. Sometimes the throat symptoms are so bad I feel nauseous.

Also, after eating a meal I feel warm all over my body and have to put something cold onto my forehad or the back of my neck to feel better. What's up with that?

Is there any relief for this? Just gravol? I have been having Tums after meals but it only helps slightly. Why isn't the Prevacid preventing these symptoms? Anyone have any insight? Thanks.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I'm not familiar with your meds, or terminology, what country you from or in, no offence friend, the UK lives in the dark ages.

• Posted

Oops sorry lol, I'm in Canada. Prevacid is lansoprazole and is known for treating acid reflux - it reduces the acid the stomach produces so I'm not sure why I would still have symptoms if that's the case.

ot sure if any of this helps, but really I just want to know how to avoid this feeling of food in the throat. It's so irritating.

• Posted

Well friend, I wad put on PPI's, antacids, but???? Wish I had a dollar for evertime i'v messaged this answer! Firstly it's impossible to produce to much acid, no! The body is not draining away excess acid, you produce less,not enough acid! So food sits in the stomach and fermentation takes place, same symptoms, wind, heart burn, indigestion. Take the baking powder soda test.!

• Posted

3 yrs ago I  was as diagnosed with Barrets, esophagitis, chronic gastritis through an endoscopy and put on H2 blockers, ppi, domeperidone, duspatalin retard  (cant remember the generic names of last 2) ..after 3 months on follow up endoscopy and also colonoscopy (had other issues) I was told my Barretts was minimal and I should stop all the meds I was on .. (still had esophagitis and gastritis) ..I was given the lab report .....showed Barretts etc.....but also showed I had food in stomach (antrum ?) and somewhere else ( cant remember) and this was after 24 hrs of fasting and taking that cleansing med for colonoscopy. So maybe this was the reason I was taken off all the meds ?  I should have  gone back for follow up endoscopy 2 yrs ago but didn't (planning on doing it this summer ) 

?my initial symptoms of severe chest pains, inability to burp have slowly returned but I  know when they start and immediately go for a walk around the house and take fizzing baking soda. that more often than not stops it.. if not and pain worsens I take some painkillers and go to bed...when I wake up....all fine. ( I do the usual  of :elevated bed, my dinner is 4 hrs before bedtime and 2 hours before I have cup of roiboos with ginger and a biscuit or 2 ...going to bed hungry also creates problems for me) 

If my Barretts has got worse then I will have to rethink. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.