Feeling of guilt

Posted , 6 users are following.

i had my 16 year old cat put to sleep yesterday, over the last month he had stopped grooming, not eating as well and generally looking unhappy. on friday he vomited a large amount of blood up and stopped eating and he only nibbled small abouts of food, which he was having difficulty swallowing. i mad ethe decision to take him to the vets. i had always said i would not have him messed about with and as long as he wasnt in pain and eating would let him just be.

my 11 year old insisted on coming with me and wanted to hold hom if it was the end. i explained all his symptoms to the vet and she agreed that it was most likley due to his age to be something sinsiter causing the sympotoms and that euthansia would be the kindest option or she could investigate him but was likley going to find something nasty. i said no just let him go to sleep.

now he is gone and im feling so guilty and sad

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

aw don't feel guilty for all you did for that cat. you had it for a very long time (even though you don't say how long), cared for it, fed it, played with it, showed it love and left it out of pain in the end. you will really miss that cat, it will hurt and feel very raw but i can't see any cruelty there. 16 is a great age for a cat. take your time heeling it will feel strange, poor cat it's a shame it was so ill but that's not your fault.

• Posted

hi,

how very sad. we have so many animals, horses, goats, sheep and 5 dogs and i am telling you it never gets any easier. if you love something enough you have to let them go no matter how hard and heart breaking it is. you were so lucky that you had your beautiful cat in your life. do not feel guilty, you loved them enough to stop the pain and suffering and you thank goodness you had enough strength to do so. every time one of our beloved animals go i am always with them and talk and sing to the very end. it always tears my heart in two but in time look back at the wonderful memories and also that they are pain free and running around in heaven waiting for you one day. lots of love and light xx

• Posted

Hi Cathryn - sorry for your loss. You did the right thing. There will a period of grieving, it happens in stages and will take as long as it takes. Throw away the guilt.

• Posted

Hi I am so sorry and know how traumatic this is. I had to have my last cat put down at 17 coz he developed similar symptoms. I too was faced with a choice of tests but like you I said no as it wasn't worth it at his age and I always promised him when his time came I would let him go peacefully.

But for the first 4/5 days I felt exactly like a cat murderer and was inconsolable with grief and guilt. Then the lovely messages I got such as you did the right things, he had a lovely life etc. took hold and I knew I had done right by him as a responsible cat owner. We have to do this for our beloved pets don't we? I just wish they lived forever.

I hope you are feeling a bit better now, and don't forget we will all meet our beloved animals again at Rainbow Bridge when it's our time. Hugs xx

• Posted

hi dont feel gulity you had him for 16 years and all a cat would ever want is a loving home and he got that from you so dont feel guity because you gave that cat a good life

hope your ok

aaron

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.