Feeling of pressure/discomfort/bloating/inflammation in lower abdomen and bowel? Please help

Posted , 4 users are following.

Just some background details and where i am now

About 2 years ago i noticed that i started going to the toilet more frequently atleast 3 times a day after each meal, i was eating a lot more food as i was trying to build myself up so i thought this was normal. About a week after my 19th birthday i developed a testicular atrophy due to unknown causes which has destroyed my life and confidance and living has just been a downward spiral since that event i developed severe anxiety and depression. Eating food i first noticed i started to cough a hell of  alot when eating or throat clearing sometimes gagging this would go hand in hand with my problems of constipation and more frequent bowel movements. Because of the atrophy i have an over awareness of my testicle and i am constantly adjusting it, i also had gotten into the habit of holding my stomach in but i always has this over awareness or discomfort in my lower pelvic region, especially when i walk around. 

In a last ditch attempt i tried to go to the docter and explain all of my problems to see if i could get any results, i was then put on omeprazole and told maybe to change my diet so i tried cutting wheat and gluten out of my diet to see if there would be any changes but no changes. The discomfort dull pain remains in my lower stomach area, now just started getting shooting pain in the lower portion of my ribcage. I dont know whether its Acid reflux or IBS, or whatever else but i dont want to live like this because its affecting my life, and depresssed and anxious because of it do you think if i went to the doctor again and explained her this she would give me a refferal to have some tests done at the hospital or would i have to finish the full course of omeprazole first? 

Thankyou for the taking the time to answer my question

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi, you could ask for further investigation of your abdomen. You didn't mention your age, is it relevant do you think? Stomach probs can occur as you get older. What about, alcohol intake, smoking, diet etc? Just a few ideas to think about. confused
    • Posted

Hi ellie thanks for the reply im 21 i dont adrink a lot of alcohol or smoke at all, i admit my diet hasnt been the best but ive tried going wheat free and still experience the same discomfort 
  • Posted

Try asking your GP for more tests, scan, x-ray, ultra sound and bloods. Even Omeprazole have side effects, I take them too, all the time now. Try reading the leaflet which comes in the packet. Good luck. Ellie rolleyes 
    • Posted

Hi rocco

Sorry to hear about all the adversity you are experiencing. These abdominal problems can make your life quite miserable!...I suggest you go back to your gp and ask for a second opinion with regard to your abdominal disorders such as undergoing an ultra sound scan as already suggested...if this does not show anything then ask for a CT Scan . You can google USound and CT Scan so you know what they entail. It sounds as if you are doing your part to alleviate the problem with no satisfactory results. Under the Patient Charter for England and Wales you are entitled to ask for a second opinion...hope this helps....best wishes...

• Posted

Hi lilian05079 thanks for answering my question, im going go back to the docter towmorro to ask for a secound opinion, feels like my stomach is killing me at the minute cant believe how bad its gotten, also passed black stool but it may be a side effect of the omeprazole.
    • Posted

Hi rocco

There was one other probability I forgot to mention, have you been tested for H.Pylori or Helicobactor Pylori?..This tiny bacteria can cause dreadful abdominal problems and acid reflux. It is a bacteria that burrows into the stomach lining and duodenum and causes endless acid reflux and pain also diahorrea. The test can be carried out via stool test or beath test. HPylori can be treated with antibiotics. When you visit your gp suggest the test to him/her. ..Happy to help...best wishes for an answer to your problem...

• Posted

Hey lillian thanks for answering my question, ive currently sent off a sample for H.Pylori it takes about 4 weeks to get the results apparently, i hope i do get a diagnosise i regulary get that same symptoms described as the H pylori like the bloating, burping, fatigue but i dont get any bleeding in my stools so i suspect hopefully i dont have anything that serious, although the discomfort i experience in my stomach & bowel area is my biggest problem hopefully ill start to see some slow results soon. 
    • Posted

Hi rocco

So glad to hear you had a H Pylori test. Although tested +ve I'm so pleased for you and so glad i recommended a test to you....hope the antibiotics do their job and you feel a lot better...keep me posted...best wishes...Lilian x

• Posted

Black stools can indicate blood in them. Or something you've eaten which is dark red, ie; beetroot, blackberries, blackcurrants, redwine etc. Glad you're going back to your Doc. I think you need an explanation to help you stop worrying too. Could be something quite simple but you need to know. Keep in touch on this forum, we're all here for you. Best wishes Ellie. confused
  • Posted

Hi Rocco. sorry to hear you are having such a rough time at such a young age. I went through similar symptoms to yours with the stomach/bowel issues & was subsequently diagnosed with colitis, ibs-d, bile acid malabsorption & fructose malabsorption.,now all under control with meds & diet. 1)your gagging & throat clearing could be oesophagitis-this can be caused by acid reflux especially while sleeping; it can come up & literally burn your oesophagus. I used to get it at night & would have to take 40mg of esomeprazole(a more successful form of omeprazole I was told) for 8wks to solve. I currently take a maintenance dose of 20mg which controls my acid reflux. they diagnosed this by an upper endoscopy which is a tube put down your throat to look at oesophagus & upper part of digestive system. You should maybe ask for this-you normally see a gastroenterolgist for this (referred by gp). 2) You mentioned the diarrea & abdominal pain started when you started eating more. I would get urgent diarrea more or less straight after eating & randomly during the day. I got these symptoms despite being successfully clinically treated for colitis so my gastroenterologist sent me for a sehcat scan at hospital to test for bile acid malabsorption which came back positive & was put on meds for this-which dramatically improved these symptoms. I am now working again, & can go out when i need or want to without worrying about urgent toilet visits & without pain. I think you should ask for this test too. bile acid malabsorption is common in people with bowel disorders, & can often be misdiagnosed as something else, but it is so easily treated with meds which have made a huge difference to my life again. 3)I do not know anything about testicular atrophy, but i would ask your gp if its worth being referred to a urologist at your hospital. Hope this helps you, take care. x
    • Posted

Hey looloo thanks for answering my question, currently taking the omeprazole 40mg when i phoned up the docter and explained to him about me having black stools, he said to up my dose and wait for the H.Pylori results to come back if there negative then he said he would take further action, i know theres something wrong with me as it dosent feel normal its just hard being reffered to a hospital or getting a test done. The discomfort im experincing within my lower abdomin is causing more problems than my acid reflux at the minute so far im about 2 weeks into the omeprazole ive stopped coughing & gagging. But my bowel dosent feel to good having the need to go to the toilet to get relief i dont get diarrhea but really hard dry stools which make me a bit constipated. If i try and explain the discomfort it feels like an inflammation in the stomach area & just below i also feel pressure in my rectum. I really want a cat scan or a ultrasound & if the problems persist get enough nerve to have a colonoscopy or endoscopy id give anything to feel normal at the minute as these bowel problems are really debilitating. thanks for sharing your experience again ill give updates as i get results from the h pylori test i hope i can make another 2 weeks.  
  • Posted

Hi Rocco, it all takes time to get proper diagnosis which is frustrating while you are suffering the meantime. If you get sent for upper endoscopy or colonscopy, try not to worry; I've had a endoscopy & several colonscopies-just make sure you ask for sedation. it won't knock you out, but just makes them both bearable. an upper endoscopy tends to make you gag a bit but is not painful, again sedation helps this. a colonoscopy-if your bowel is inflamed it can be "uncomfortable" but again sedation makes it much better & the worst thing is the wind afterwards which is normal but gives your stomach cramps - it is normal to go to the toilet on the ward & release the wind then you feel much better & they let you rest for 20mins til someone picks you up(if you've had sedation which i recommend) .I'm telling you all this so if you end up having to have it done, you know what to expect & won't feel so nervous about it. anytime you want to know anything etc, just ask, that's what this site is about, sharing experience & helping each other. i found it really helpful when i was poorly. take care & keep us posted.
    • Posted

Hey looloo43 thanks for the update i just have a phone call from the docter and i tested positive for the h pylori virus, so i have to go on a course of antibiotics for a week to get rid of it im hopeing to god it works i really do. I appreciate your feedback and all of your advice ill let you know how i feel after the course of antibiotics thankyou again smile 
  • Posted

You'll know what i mean when i say that's good news - because you have an answer & a path to treat you now! Hope your antibiotics dont leave you feeling too yukky, but persevere & hope you feel better soon. Maybe ask doc or pharmacist when best to take your omeprazole while you take the antibiotics as they can affect other meds, & you need to keep up with omeprazole to help heal your oesophagus if the coughing & gagging is getting better with them....keep us updated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.