Feeling of swollen tongue anxiety symptom?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Has anyone ever experienced this as a symptom of anxiety? I've been dealing with anxiety/panic disorder for about two years now. It was really bad at first with almost daily panic attacks, sometimes coming in waves for hours at a time. It then evolved into what I guess would be health anxiety, where every feeling in my body started to signify that something was horribly/fatally wrong with me. I've made a lot of progress with this up until a couple of months ago when all of a sudden my tongue felt swollen and sore. Didn't really think anything of it at first, but it never went away. 24 hours a day for two months now it's been bothering me. It's very frustrating because it feels like it's swelling and possibly going to obstruct the airway and it wreaks havoc on my anxiety. My PCP saw nothing wrong, neither did the ENT. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this as an anxiety symptom, and how the hell to get past it?

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I haven't had this one (yet at least) but I know it's a symptom of anxiety. I'll message you a link and you'll see!

• Posted

Thanks for the link. I've never seen that listed as a possible anxiety symptom before. It's definitely one of the stranger ones I've experienced!

• Posted

Yes. I have 1 of three things.

1) my throat feels like it's closing

2)my tongue feels like it's swelling up

3) my uvula (or whatever that dangly thing in the back of my throats is) feels like it's swelling

Just last night I had number 3. Felt extremely big and like it was blocking my throat. I had to drink water which made it worse, so I ate some chips which also made it worse (but this was like 3am and that was the only food near me lol) so finally I did the thing I do everytime I have any of those feelings.

I took a picture (well more like 20 to actually get a good angle lol) of my throat. Just to make sure everything was normal size. And it was. Still felt uncomfortable, but at least I knew it was okay.

Usually if I am up and about, I will go to a mirror and shine my phone flashlight I. My mouth and make sure my throats is open, my uvula is normal size and my tongue is a normal size.

• Posted

Hay I suffer panic and anixty disorder too it really ruff sent me the massage of the symptoms please
  • Posted

Hi there I bit my tongue a few days ago and have been having minimal pain on that side and woke up with it hurting. I went in to the bathroom to look at it and the under part of my tongue is swollen there and every time I swallow there is tension and it's hard to swallow directly under my jaw in my neck where the soreness is in my tongue. It's also important to note that I have had a very bad cold but am at the tail end of it. I am very aware of my body due to my health related anxiety so know that my tongue looks very different underneath. I also felt it and it feels like thick and swollen. I have tried heat, salt water, tea, gum, ice, etc and it's freaking me outsad Have you or anyone on this forum experienced anything like this before? I am so scared

• Posted

hello, i know this post was written 4 years ago but i am really struggling with that exact feeling right now and driving myself up the walls with this feeling that there is something wrong with me, however after seeing your message its helped me so much in realising that im not just alone and to calm down all this anxiety inside. so thank you

• Posted

I know this was posted a long time ago, and I certainly hope you are better by now 😉...... I just wanted to mention that I suffer terribly with a similar issue, to the point it is sometimes absolutely debilitating and seems to have an awful, roller-coaster effect on my anxiety/OCD/physical pain. Just knowing someone else had an issue similar to mine is oddly comforting, though I certainly hope your story had a happy outcome! I think my pain/obsessing and being anxious about the pain is tied to hormones and anxiety brought on by hormonal changes. My first episode of bizarre "tongue anxiety" started in the last trimester of my pregnancy with my son, and this second one started after menopause & thyroid cancer... I don't know if anyone else has had this, but some days it's so bad I'm sure I am salivating more than usual, as a reaction to whatever nerves are being irritated in my mouth. It is awful, managing this issue; sorry for ranting about it. Be well everyone - rachelvioletta

• Posted

I get a similar feeling of my throat being tight constantly, and just a couple minutes ago I had a short panic attack where it felt like my tongue was swelling up. It's the middle of the night so it was hard to tell if it actually was or not, which just added to my panic.

Anyway, I didn't know what to do, so I turned to Google and ended up here.

It's reassuring that I'm not the only person to experience this and honestly I think knowing that is what stopped my panic attack just now.

Thank you to OP for posting about it and to everyone who commented 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.