Feeling overwhelmed

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone 

I’ve always been a social person (but have still always enjoyed some quiet time) and fairly confident, but this journey of recovery from anxiety and depression has just left me feeling like I want to run and hide in my bed at times.  

I’ve been struggling being in places that are too busy and loud, I find it difficult being around lots of people, i.e an extremely busy street, and I just feel self conscious that I’m going to offend a stranger somehow 🤦🏻??? I feel like I’m floating, looking down at myself thinking, hang on a minute, what’s going on here, you’ve never felt like this before this is surreal. I know all of my sense are extra heightened because of what I’m going through, but it’s so overwhelming.

I don’t want to hide away from everything and everyone, I want to get better (I have been) and slowly start doing normal things again, but it’s so so hard. It’s just so emotionally draining and just leaves me in tears. Things that never bothered me before I’m so sensitive to. My ideal night now consists of me being in bed by 9:30pm. Gone are the Friday and Saturday nights staying up late at home, or going out.  I can’t take big doses of tons of people, especially strangers. 

How does confidence come back? Should I continue to partake in ‘normal’ situations that I would never have thought twice about before even though they now make me feel uncomfortable and I end up coming home crying? I have had my medication increased less than a week ago so I’m aware I could be feeling extra sensitive due to that, but anxiety feels like it’s always lingering and I’m always fighting. I just feel kinda flat today, don’t know how else to describe it. 🤦🏻???  Just after some reassurance that I’m not going to feel unsocial and weird forever x

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I'm so sorry you are feeling this way, I can 100% relate to this and it is exactly how I have been feeling too sad 

I feel so spaced out sometimes its like I am not in my own head, I feel sick every day and I always feel like I annoy people or am a burden to them or that the friends I have now will just up and leave and its all been a trick or something. 

For me, I set myself little goals, some days those goals will be bigger than others like going to a social event and if I do have to come home then I celebrate that i made it out in the first place and I tried my absolute best. Other days my goal is to eat a full dinner or leave the house for 5 minutes. Ultimately I remind myself to keep going, and it will get better providing I take the right steps for me smile if today I can achieve one of my goals, then I have taken a positive step smile

(I also increased my medication about a month ago so it could be worse because of that!)

Keep going smile You are doing well!

• Posted

Hi Jade, thank you. I know, I feel the same, I feel like whilst everyone’s trying to be supportive they don’t really truly get how I feel and that they will get sick of me feeling the way I do 🤷🏻??? You sound like you’re doing really well, well done 💪🏼 I’m jus trying to keep busy today, not going to give up and give in to feeling meh, this won’t last forever and I just have to be kind to myself. What meds are you on? I’m on day 5 of 30mg of citalopram x

• Posted

I started on 10mg of citalopram last July then went back to my GP at the beginning of April because I felt rubbish and they put me up to 20mg and I’ve been on that since April 10th. 

You sound like you’re taking positive steps forwards ☺️ Keep going, we can do this, we just have to keep doing what is best for us x

• Posted

Well it’s almost bedtime and I got through the day when I’ve been feeling a bit rubbish...so hooray to that 🏆 small achievements will hopefully lead to better things. 

Thank you, I appreciate the support I get on here so much 🤗 x

• Posted

The increase of Citalopram probably has an effect of what you are feeling; you're in the midst of the hardest part of the side effects now (seems like the first two weeks are the worst;-).

?As uncomfortable as it is, it probably would be good for you to "force" yourself to get out socially a bit. You might come home in tears, you might leave earlier than you normally would, but just getting out will build up your confidence, and help you realize that the anxiety feelings are just that: uncomfortable feelings that make you feel icky, but won't actually hurt you.

• Posted

Hi Kelly, thank you. I hope I feel a bit better once a couple of weeks have passed. You’re right, I think I do need to continue with going out more and getting out there, it’s just learning and figuring out about how much is too much. I think I overdid it yesterday and would have been fine if I had gotten home in time for my early bedtime, ha ha.  And I think sometimes I just have to draw a line at saying no, I’ve had enough, it’s time to go, and not care what other think because at the end of the day I have to recover in a way that suits me best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.