Feeling overwhelmed want to run away:(

Posted , 6 users are following.

Just been advised to have my mitral valve rspired and am scared to death of the pain post op the machines, etc. Help

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

saw your post and wanted to respond as soon as I could to tell you it's no big

deal, mitral valve repairs are a dime a dozen here in the U.S.  You will have some

discomfort, but it's not that bad.  I don't know your age, but that shouldn't be a big

deal either.  There are people in this country who undergo valve repairs who are

probably much older than you.  Even if you have other health issues, the risks are

minimal.  I have a congenital heart defect that is compromising three of my heart

valves and I wouldn't hesitate to have a repair if I were offered one, and I'm 63.

I wish you the best with whatever you decide.

• Posted

Thank you for your wise words. I think it's simply overwhelming and really knowing it's not my choice, it is what I have to do. Of course not to many people would volunteer for the procedure just for fun. It's all the tubes etc
    • Posted

I was 77 when I had my valve replaced. I was lucky that it was found by chance.  I went into without any qualms as the surgeons know their jobs and if I had not had it I would have only had a year left.
    • Posted

thats thought provoking. I guess the way that I meant it is I have to make the choice of having a surgery that scares me to death and if I choose not to have it there will be consequences
    • Posted

That's it exactly.   I'm not familiar with that particular procedure but from the responses you've received it seems to be a common technique, so I guess you just have to decide whether or not you want to live longer!
    • Posted

Thank you for taking th time to write.  I am hoping that the procedure can be done either with the Da Vinci or minimally invasive.  I think the fear of pain, intubation and wires etc are what are chllenging me.  Still have to have the Heart Cath as well. 
  • Posted

Everyone is nervous at the thought of having a heart op, but try not to worry. I had mine repaired 2 years ago and the op was cancelled twice so in the end I was pleased to get it done as had got hyped up for it and was a big let down when it didn't happen! You won't know anything about it and everything will be hazy for the first day or so. your chest will be sore but it's not too bad, and they use dissolving stitches , they get you up fairly quickly and I wheeled my monitor to the loo as I didn't want to use a commode!! I got some dizzy spells after discharge due to the anasthetic (spelt wrong!) but only lasted couple minutes and they disappeared after a month or so. I no longer cough every night due to fluid on the lung caused by the faulty valve and don't have to sleep sitting up so to be honest I just feel normal ! Your mind will be put at rest once it's sorted as at the moment your heart isn't as it should be so think how lovely it will be to have your heart mended! Sending all good wishes, kind regards.
  • Posted

I had my aortic valve replaced and can honestly say that when I came round I was not in any pain and was not on any machine. There was morphine in my drip the first night but after that I did not really need the paracetamol they insisted I take,

I was out of bed a sitting on a chair the next morning and led to the bathroom for a wash. The tough part was on day two when two physios hauled me out of bed walked me along a long corridor and up two flights of stairs and back to bed. Sweat was pouring off me and it took me twenty minutes to get my breath back as my lunch got cold.

• Posted

Now that just not sound like it was the last bit fun.  Seriously two flights of stairs? Did you still have chest tubes? Was yours performed minimally invasive?
  • Posted

Hey Allison, Had my Aortic valve replaced in the U.S. in December 2007. In today's technology, it's amazing what can be done, I was in intensive care for two days and was given my first bed bath, lol. I think I was in the hospital 4 days total. They did split my chest open , but now days there is other possible options. As far as tubes, they took my breathing tube out the minute I woke up. I had a catheder in for about two days and a tube in my stomach, but there was 0 pain. The great news is that your still here and they can easily fix it. I worked 30 years as a professional firefighter, and fought fire 6 years longer after my valve replacement. I am very proud of my scar. You will do great!!!
    • Posted

I asked about the other options but the surgeon said I was fit enough not to need them. The tissue valves now last much longer than before.The lady who does my annual echcardiogram says they have improved so much that we don't know their extent.

• Posted

Awesome Derek, I have a cow valve. I guess how long it last depends on your lifestyle. The medical journal says from 5 to 15 years, but who knows for sure. I'm in the beginning of my 9th year. In March 2014 they did a CT scan on me and said the valve looked like it was just put in . Of course that is always good to hear.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.