Feeling pressured to take antidepressants

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I was recently diagnosed with depression and anxiety following a serious of bad events in my life over the past 18 months, including a misccariage and my husband being taken seriously ill due to misdiagnosis by a gp. My low mood started to develop last year which my GP did pick up on but I passed it off at the time as stress due to work, but following a bad experience on holiday including not sleeping and feeling anxious all the time I decided to seek help. I have also suffered from an eating disorder in the past for which I had counselling at school/university.

Initially my GP referred me for an assesment for talking therapy and asked me to come back. He did mention pills but I explained that I didn't want due to wanting to try for a baby. I should add I am waiting for surgery which may solve the problem but must likely won't. I am also in constant pain since having a prevous surgery in March. I went to a follow up appointment with him but was still waiting for the assesment and the topic of pills came up again. The assesment resulted in me being put on a list for CBT but I am still waiting for the appointment (3 weeks). 

Over the past 2 weeks I have been feeling more and more down, not helped by my hospital appointment being cancelled and my husband called my GP for a telephone appointment for me and the result was that I now have a prescription for sertraline. I do believe my GP has listened to my concerns about taking the pills but I still feel pressured into taking them. I actually feel more anxious now at the thought of taking them. 

I've read about the side effects and really don't want to risk feeling any worse at the moment as I have a lot on at work which I am trying to keep on top off as I run my own company and am responsible for groups of teenagers. I've also read about people struggling to get off them again.

One of my particular concerns is that we have applied to adopt a child and I am worried that this will affect our chances. We already have several negative points against us due to a large age difference between my husband and me and his recent health problems which have caused some long term effects. 

I haven't taken any of the pills although my husband is now pushing me to take. I have to travel alot for work at the moment and I just can't bring myself to take them. I am supposed to go back to GP in 2 weeks to see if they make a difference but am tempted to cancel the appointment and wait to see if the CBT helps. 

So I was just wodnering if anyone else has experience of feeling pushed to take antidepressants and whether you have taken them or not? Does it affect how you are treated by the GP/ counsellor?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi!

You are the only one who has the power to make decisions regarding your life, don't feel pressured! That being said, the right antidepressant can help you get back to your normal self. When do you get to start your CBT? This may help you a lot!

• Posted

Luckily I have just been given an appointment for CBT next monday so hopefully things will start to improve soon
  • Posted

Hi

I too have just been prescribed pills for stress/anxiety and I am t o scarred to take them. I had a similar bout of anxiety about 4 years ago and was given antidepressants which I did take which after 3 days me feel like a zombie so I stopped.

Must admit this time I do feel worse and I am wondering if I do need them. Going back to docs on Monday will discuss it with her then. I attended some mindfulness sessions a couple of years ago which really did help, so it might worth given that a try.

I am going back to some classes soon to try and help me.

Please let me know if you decide on taking the med and if it makes you feel better, you sound like me scarred of the side effects

• Posted

I have decided to wait for my CBT to start as they've managed to get me an appointment next week as I said I was willing to drive further away for treatment - it turns out it is only about 20 minutes away so not sure why NHS think this is a long way! Initially I was told this would be done via the phone but it seems my GP has intervened and recommended I have face to face therapy. 

The side affects do scare me partly due to my husband's issues earlier this year but also as I am taking lots of other tablets - currently 12 a day. I can't take the only pain medication that seems to work if I take sertraline so that has put me off too.

I think my main concern is feeling like a zombie and not really wanting to be dependent on meds to feel normal again. 

• Posted

Good luck with the CBT next week, hope it is the start of a full recovery

Got to see my doc on Monday will ask her if CBT would be right for me, had a really bad day today can feel another sleepiness night on the way

• Posted

I started CBT and although only had the initial session it made a lot of sense to me and I am hopeful that it will help with my anxiety at least.

Hope your visit to the doctors was ok and they can offer you some positive help

• Posted

Visit to doctors not very productive she has prescribed me some pill to try help me sleep. Got 4 sessions with counsellor though where I used to work starting tomorrow. The last coup l e of days I have felt so low my mind will just not let go of what I have done. Feel like it will never end I am so unhappy this is not living.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.