Feeling really awful starting sertraline- checking with others.

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi everyone,

On day 4 of 25mg sertraline for anxiety. Feel okay some parts of the day and others are absolutely terrible. When it is bad, I am talking really bad. Feel like my head is going to explode, become very nauseous and have had the dry heaves and vomiting. Neck and shoulder tension. Severe anxiety spikes like I can't stand it. Makes me cry when I am having the really bad side effects. I have taken this med many times before and I don't recall it being this bad when starting. I know it wasn't easy but don't recall feeling so sick. I am trying to push through as this med has worked wonders for me many times before but I don't know how long I can take the extreme sickness. Just wondering if you all felt this bad when starting? Like I said when it is bad I think I can't take it anymore and is this worth it? Then it will calm down and I think to myself this isn't so bad. Lol. Seriously though, was it that bad for you all? I am feeling like a whimp although I truly get very bad side effects. Puts me out of commission. I am off work currently and therwvis no way I could work through these side effects but I did it on the past? Just curious if I am an extreme case?

So tell me if your start up was/is this rugged....

Thanks.

2 likes, 84 replies

84 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey holly.

You're not alone.

My symptoms were exactly the same as yours for the first week. It was absolutely awful. I couldn't work through the side effects either. I'm currently on day 10 and even now there is still anxiety spikes remaining. Stick with it. I promise you each day gets easier and easier.

• Posted

I know it is not easy to start but I feel just awful. So nauseated right now I want to go lay down and cry. I even took a prescription nausea pill. Yesterday was decent but not today. It is like every other day. When did the nausea ease up for you? I feel like I want to be up and doing things but feel so terrible physically. So frustrated with these side effects. Thought I wouldn't be to bad as I switched from Lexapro 5mg as it was making extremely depressed. Did you do a lot of crying at first? Lol. I do cause I feel so bad and debilitated......

• Posted

I spent the first week thinking I was physically dying. I couldn't eat or sleep and cried and got angry. I was a mess. And I had many panic attacks every day one leading into another into another. It sucked. Now I've just got to the point where I have a bad morning and a good evening. I stopped being sick after 7 days

• Posted

I am still eating. Using a sleep aide so that helps. I think the worst is this nausea and vomiting.
    • Posted

Aw holly ur not alone i spent 2 days on 50 mg crying asking if i needed sectioned then i dropped the dose a little an was better, the nausea will ease any day now believe us we've been there

• Posted

I know it does but it is so hard as you know. What dose are you on?

Thank you so much for chatting with me. It is so helpful to have cheerleaders.

Well day 4 so hoping in the next couple days the nausea, vomiting and headaches will subside. I could even deal with them if they werent so intense. Did they just go away or ease up and shorter duration.

• Posted

Hi weenet,

That is what you said earlier. It is just horrible. Today the nausea is not going away or easing up. I just don't recall being this sick starting it in the past. Increased anxiety and headaches but not nausea and vomiting. Dis yours ease at about 7 days like Suzie?

• Posted

I'm on 25mg like you are. I'm very sensitive to meds so I'll be on this dose for another week and then Increase up. Which I'm not looking forward to at all!!

Mine eased up every day and the duration got shorter. But everyone is different

Always here if you need to chat

• Posted

Hey Weenett,

Was just thinking about you and wondering how you are doing now? I think you were taking 37.5 mg last time we chatted. Still trying to push on. Day 7of 25mg. One day is manageable then the next is horrendous......

I hope it is going well for you.

• Posted

Im doing ok im up to 50 mg of sert just now how r u doing?
    • Posted

Having a decent day then a bad day. Today is a bad day. Feel very emotional and weepy today. Day 8 of 25 mg. Nauseea seems to have improved over the past day or two. How are the side effects for you now at 50mg? Hope it is going well!
    • Posted

I am still on 25mg. Today will be day 10. I have developed really bad diarrhea the last couple if days. It is very dark colored almost Black. Very rumbly tummy too. Sorry to be so graphic! This Kind of concerns me. Started on day 8?
    • Posted

hi how are you now im exact same one day not to bad the next feel so unwell with really horrible thoughts

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.