Feeling really awful starting sertraline- checking with others.

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi everyone,

On day 4 of 25mg sertraline for anxiety. Feel okay some parts of the day and others are absolutely terrible. When it is bad, I am talking really bad. Feel like my head is going to explode, become very nauseous and have had the dry heaves and vomiting. Neck and shoulder tension. Severe anxiety spikes like I can't stand it. Makes me cry when I am having the really bad side effects. I have taken this med many times before and I don't recall it being this bad when starting. I know it wasn't easy but don't recall feeling so sick. I am trying to push through as this med has worked wonders for me many times before but I don't know how long I can take the extreme sickness. Just wondering if you all felt this bad when starting? Like I said when it is bad I think I can't take it anymore and is this worth it? Then it will calm down and I think to myself this isn't so bad. Lol. Seriously though, was it that bad for you all? I am feeling like a whimp although I truly get very bad side effects. Puts me out of commission. I am off work currently and therwvis no way I could work through these side effects but I did it on the past? Just curious if I am an extreme case?

So tell me if your start up was/is this rugged....

Thanks.

2 likes, 84 replies

84 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello all! I started Zoloft and could only tolerate it for 4 days. It took away my appetite to the point I couldn’t eat at all. Also I had nausea the whole entire day along with hot flashes. So I stopped I’m day three without it and still have very little appetite. Any ideas when it will come back or improve. 
  • Posted

I am 68 and have not taken meds before now but have had anxiety and OCD off and on all my life.

I had to stop working to adjust to sertraline too. No way to work when 90% of your mental energy is dealing with anxiety. 

Even though your side effects are awful, the med has worked for you in the past so I am thinking staying the course is wise.  I am on day 6  and I have certainly experienced more anxiety than when I started--miserable stuff for sure.  Everything I have read suggests that the side effects subside after a couple of weeks and I am right there with you waiting for that to happen. If they don't subside after 3 weeks or so you might want to get to your doc  and get a prescription for Xanax to help you through the tough times. I have a prescription which I have not tried yet but there are a lot of great reviews for it.  Remember that no matter what--you are going to be OK.

• Posted

Hey not sure if you still check this,

I'm on day 14 I'm at 50mg. I feel like I'm dying. I don't know if my body can physically handle this. I can't eat or move around at all. Everyone is so certain it'll work but Idk if I can handle any longer 😭

• Posted

I think that sertraline makes your original problems worse before better and it's really hard but you will get there. I was put on it for panic attacks due to burn out. At 50mg I was in a permanent state of panic attack and anxiety. I couldn't even have a bath without ending up on the floor. I was spending most of the day deep breathing. It was a nightmare. I ended up in bed staring at the ceiling sweating and feeling worse than the worst flu. I spent 3 full days and nights in bed. On the 4th day I forced my stinking body into the bath. About 2 days after that I drove my car and actually went into the corner shop. I am on 75mg now and some side effects came back with the increase. Mainly a shockingly bad bum! I am however panic attack free and my anxiety has decreased 99% ..i am still totally exhausted and have little motivation. But my dose going up to 100mg on Saturday.

You will get glimmers of feeling better. Drink loads of water...sit in the shower...take immodium if you have the trots and go to bed if you can. Watch something funny cos laughing is good. If you are really sweaty and smelly get some mitchum anti perspirant. Please try to ride it out because it takes time...

Good luck

Ps take your sertraline at the same time every day

🦄🦄🦄🦄🦄🦄

• Posted

I'm on day 7 of 50 mg of Zoloft while tappering off effexor currently at 75 mg, today has been pretty bad zero appetite and anxiety and feeling very spaced out and it's effecting my sleep!!!!!! 😔 Can someone please give me some advice 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.