Feeling really down

Posted , 7 users are following.

I’ve suffered with HS for about 20 years. But at the moment the boils are so bad, literally one after the other, mainly under my armpits. I recently came back from a week away to lanzarote it was warm not hot so I wasn’t sweating. I couldn’t wear a bikini because they are so embarrassing bright red large boils and often weeping pus. They are so painful too. My husband is sympathetic but he will never understand that’s why I’ve joined this group today I really need people I can chat too that suffer as well, I’m really feeling sorry for myself at the moment although I tell myself things could be worse. I’ve been to the doctors in the past. Put on tablets that don’t work. I’ve bought hibiscrub. I’m waiting on turmeric to turn up at the moment as I’m desperate and will try anything, just seems the older I’m getting the worse there getting. Anyway thanks for reading, if anyone can give me any tips I will be truly thankful.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I'm in the same boat as u are I have so many of them right now and nothing is working for me I'm about to give up. I have them on my arm pit butt face stomach and breast and groin. They hurt very bad at this point and tryed every thing

• Posted

I get them occasionally on my stomach too which I find really weird. I noticed as well that my bras which had wire in them gave me boils under my breasts and under my armpit. So I bought a bra non wire this has helped. I don’t have big breasts so I can’t get away with wearing one.  I have a doctors appointment in a week so I’m hoping they might put me on a different tablet as there are lots I haven’t tried. 
  • Posted

I have suffered for over 20 years.  I have been using coconut oil and tee tree oils for over three years and it has worked very well for me.  I have very few outbreaks.  Now if I have any sores they are very small and only last for maybe a day.  
    • Posted

Ok thank you, I will give it a go. Do you know if there are support groups where you can actually meet people with HS? I’ve never met anyone with it.
  • Posted

I heard that birth control pills help. I noticed when i stopped taking them i got them really bad. I stopped shaving and i noticed i dont get them. When i do get them they are not severe. I hope you find something that can help. I know they are painfull. 😞

• Posted

Don’t think the Doctors would put me on the pill, I’m in my late 40’s. But I’m going to the doctors next week again so I will ask.
  • Posted

Hi Amanda. I’ve tried a bunch of things but here is what has worked for me (different things will work for different people, but this is my experience if it helps):

Stopped using antiperspirant deodorant and switched to Bionsen thermal water spray deodorant. Nice mineral smell and more convenient than most natural deodorants.

Hibiscrub is good for cleaning and destroying odour causing microbes, but it’s very harsh on the skin so you can get an antimicrobial ointment on prescription (like Dermol 500) which is very gentle and does the same thing. Works as both lotion and cleanser.

Stopped shaving and started using an electric razor. I’ve recently started shaving again as I now use Avene Thermal Spring Water which seems to control my cysts really well and soothes skin after shaving, reducing ingrown hairs. 

I tried turmeric for a long time because it helped a joint problem I had, but it had no effect on my HS. 

Tried all the antibiotics except Clindamycin & Rifampicin combo which is practically the only medical treatment that can put HS into remission. Nothing worked.

Currently on Roaccutane which has gotten rid of my facial acne, armpits are now perfectly fine as they were already very good from using the thermal water spray. It doesn’t seem to have helped groin cysts much but I’m now thinking that because I mostly take baths instead of showering, that it could be residue from my shampoo/conditioner causing pore-blockage. Yet to test this theory but it’s something to think about since sulfates in hair products create a film layer on the skin. 

One thing I hugely recommend - but understand is an annoying recommendation - is exercise. Sweating profusely clears your pores and stops them from becoming blocked and forming cysts. You need to shower immediately after so that the sweat doesn’t stay on your skin and have the opposite effect. 

Last thing - inspect your skin. You can see your blocked pores and blackheads/whiteheads before they turn into cysts and squeeze them out (gently or you’ll cause more problems).

Hope something in there helps! Mostly I recommend the thermal water spray and you can use it alongside any other medical/personal treatment and it’s very convenient as it’s just a spray of water, so it’s totally worth a shot. 

• Posted

Hi Thank you so much for writing to me, I really appreciate all your help. I’ve ordered the Thermal spring water so will give that a go. And I’ve not shaved for 4 days now I know shaving makes them worse. It’s the embarrassment of them in the summer or when you go away. I have ordered a new deodorant which stops sweating as well. So will give that a go. 
  • Posted

Amanda..what is your diet consist of babe??
    • Posted

Hi, it’s not too bad I eat fresh fish meat lots of veg and some fruit. I know people say about potatoes etc and yes I do eat them, hard not to.  Today I had delivered an antiperspirant which you use twice a week at night only. As I do think sweating doesn’t help. See how that goes.
  • Posted

those Potatoes could be it..i know they are for me...you eat turnips or sweet potatoes instead..Tomatoes and Potatoes and White Carbs are my culprit!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.