Feeling really drained between b12 & depression

Posted , 2 users are following.

I got diagnosed nearly one year ago ! In this year I have never felt any more useless in my life. I had my last injection 2 weeks ago, there is no difference how I'm feeling. I need to take breaks when doing general things i.e washing dishes, taking clothes out/in washing machine. My whole body feel rediculiously heavy and so sore. Then in November I got diagnosed with depression taking 1 tablet a day. They have now moved me to 2 tablets a day. I feel I'm being so lazy but I honestly cant say when the last time I felt "normal" I cry everyday more than once. The childcare couldn't be any more stressful as I can't find alternative childcare for when chikdminders on hoilday. I have handed in my notice at work I just can't do it all. I feel either I'm gonna fall down or do something stupid. Can this depression etc be caused by b12? Can someone please guide me as I really want to give up. Thanks Emma

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I’m so sorry to hear how badly you are feeling. How often are you getting the B12 injections? 

Have they tested your levels of folate and ferritin and VitD? We can often be low in other nutrients too, and folate is vital in order to use the B12 we are being given.

Do you know if your thyroid is OK? I have underactive thyroid in addition to Low B12, and they often occur together.

There are ways to increase your B12 if you are only getting three monthly injections. Supplements are available as patches, sublingual lozenges or sprays. I used a sublingual spray myself to top up my levels in between injections. Eventually I persuaded my GP to trial me on more frequent injections, and it worked so well for me, that I now have an injection every six weeks. 

The depression is a natural result of feeling unwell, if they treat the cause, you shouldn’t need the antidepressants

So I would recommend supplementing extra B12, taking a good Bcomplex multi vitamin, and a VitD supplement. Lots of people have low VitD, and don’t realise how many aches and pains can come from that.

Also get your GP to check your thyroid function, to make sure that isn’t a cause of some of your symptoms. 

Please post again and let me know how you get on? 

Doctors seem to be poorly informed about the effects of Low B12, have a look at the full symptom list on the Pernicious Anaemia Society website. It is essential for every cell in the body, and that includes the brain.

with very best wishes

from

Marion  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.