Feeling really frightened

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I was diagnosed with reflux 3 years ago, past four weeks I've been suffering terrible symptoms, pain between shoulder blades, nausea, stomach pain and diarhea, seems a lot for acid reflux, anyone else felt all this at sane time? I was on 150m of ranitidine, seem ok for months, now feeling wretched every day, really depressing.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Don't worry, I've felt all that, and more, due to reflux. Make an appointment to see your GP ASAP and tell them your symptoms have got worse. They may decide to do an endoscopy (camera down your esophagus) just to check that you haven't developed an hiatus hernia or gastritis etc. They may decide to put you on a PPI (proton pump inhibitor) these are stronger than Ranitidine and help control acid production much better. I was on Ranitidine ,years ago, but ended up having to go onto a PPI and they worked brilliantly. Whilst you're waiting for an appointment, you could try raising the head of your bed by 6 to 8 inches by putting it up on blocks/bricks this helps keep the stomach contents where they belong. Also try taking Gaviscon advance, especially before you go to bed, it is specifically designed for reflux, as opposed to just for indigestion. Just check with the chemist that you can take it with any current medication you are on. Finally, don't eat within 4 hours of going to bed & don't lie down, for at least 3 hours, after eating. Good luck. Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Thank you so much for replying, I have done a lot of what you suggested, bed is raised, changed back to ompeprazole, have been to gp, ultrasound booked for end of month, when pain is there it's horrendous, then there's the diarhea which us new to me, hopefully things will settle down, I hope you continue to feel well, really appreciate your advice.

• Posted

No problem! Some people get loose stools when they take a PPI. I was on Lansoprazole and I was fine on that but, Pantoprazole really affect me that way and ,they give me an inordinate amount of gas! I expect your GP will be wanting to rule out gallstones, hence the ultrasound. I had my gallbladder removed in 2013, it helped with the very bad pain but, my reflux seemed to get worse soon afterwards. But, I had a barium swallow, and that showed that I have a motility problem with my esophagus, I don't swallow properly, and a hiatus hernia so, it's probably down to that. I also get esophageal spasms, and they are very painful, GP told me that reflux can sometimes trigger those, so, perhaps, that is where some of your pain is coming from? Although I read, somewhere, that they are quite rare? Our digestive system is so complex, isn't it? One thing goes wrong, and it seems to throw everything else out of whack! Hope they can help you find some relief.

• Posted

hi have you been diagnosed for IBS ? sounds like ibs symptoms too.

• Posted

Hi Crystal, was a couple of years ago, but the pain im getting seems very high up to be ibs

• Posted

oh ok i use to take omeprazole for awile then it stoped working then they gave me pantoprazole. and carafate witch they helped me alot but now im starting i started to get bad headaches and and neck pains and shoulder pains just feel real weird too i feel off. im gonna ask the doctor if i can come off them take something else im tired of feeling sick all the time and i also feel so tired and weak i cant do my chores because i all i wanna do is sleep.

• Posted

That is exactly how I feel at the moment, feeling really off, very low mood, as you say tired of feeling sick, worried that something worse is going on because of all the pains nausea and fatigue, how long have you been feeling like this, for me it's been a month, I was doing ok on ranitidine for a long time, that's why I'm so scared it might not even be reflux.

• Posted

please be educated with ppi drugs and over-use

they are just masking the problem

its important to find the root cause !

diet is paramount !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.