Feeling really tired taking citalopram. On my 4th week of 10mg How long does it last?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Been taking Cit for about 4 weeks now. I didn't feel too bad last week but this week tiredness as really kick in and feeling quite sick as times. Taking for GAD and panic attacks, feel like I'm going back down hill again. Is this normal or should I increase the dose to 20mg as per my doctor said if I needed to.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Gail. I'm in week 8 and have been feeling g really tired. Anxiety is manageable but I'm really tired and unmotivated everyday. I'm in 20mg CIT. Not sure if this is normal or not. Hugs to you. My appetite came back slightly but now have to remind myself to eat 3x a day.

• Posted

Thank you Barb, I would agree with how u feel my anxiety is a lot less but hate this tired feeling. Hugs to u too. I have been told it can take upto 10-12 weeks to feel the full benefit by my CBT consultant. Hang on in there 👍😉
  • Posted

Hi

I just wanted to offer my support, I have been taking Cit 20mg for nearly two weeks, and I so far have yet to suffer any side effects, though in the morning I do feel a bit sick, am not sure if that is connected. I will probably get side effects now!!

Everything I have read has said that side effects are part of the course and to stick with it, am not sure re uping your dose, I would imagine another chat with your doctor would help with the decision making re that.

Try and stay strong and positive, sorry I've not been much help

Daisy

• Posted

Hi Gail

Yes its normal.  4 weeks is still pretty early days.  These meds are slow working and the first few weeks are the worst with the side effects.  Your body needs time to adjust to the meds - that's all its doing.  Recovery often comes in waves so some weeks will feel worse than others, but generally the trend is up.  Its often 3 steps forward and 2 steps.

These side effects do wear off - just give it more time.  Everyone takes different times to recover - some it weeks and others many months.  Just let recovery come to you in its own time.  It will.

Increasing the dose won't stop the side effects - in fact it will give you more, as each increase gives side effects which again have to calm.  20mg is a good dose and one that I recovered on.

You can't hurry recovery - it will happen in its own time.  For now, try and take some exercise daily - walking is good, try and eat a little if you can - soup is good, sleep if you can (difficult for some) and try taking life at a slower pace all the time.  You're recovering, so be kind to yourself - it will happen for you.

If you find the side effects way too much for you, you could ask your doctor to reduce the meds a little and wait until your body adjusts to the meds, and then go back up to 20mg.

Perseverance and patience are the best .......

K xx

• Posted

Missed a bit ...... 3 steps forward and 2 steps 'back' confused

• Posted

Hi Katecogs,

So glad I posted on here, it makes me feel better to know what other people experience. I will take your advise.

Thank you

Gail x

• Posted

Its good to share and talk to others.  Just take it slowly and I'm sure it'll all settle down in time.  Keep in touch.

K xx

• Posted

If you have been taking it for 4 weeks and still feel tired...probably not the medication for you...because it does make some people tired.

The only suggestion my Dr. had for that was to take it at night.

I tried that.

I ended up coming off that one and switching and I feel better all the way around.

• Posted

Thanks Misssy2 I will see how it goes x
  • Posted

Hi Gail, yep normal side effects to Citalopram this lifts after few weeks/months everyone is different hang in there!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.