Feeling really unwell

Posted , 3 users are following.

Going through tests at the moment for coeliac disease and just feeling very lethargic and unwell. I had been gluten free for a few months but as I now have appointment for endoscopy I have to eat gluten. While I was gluten free I did not feel any better. Any ideas ?

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

If you are coeliac, you may have had it for a long time, in which case, you won't get an over-night recovery. Also, there's a possibility that it's not coeliac disease. The endoscopy will shed light on the whole situation. Also, there is a very small percentage of people with coeliac disease that don't improve on a gluten free diet, it is known as refractory disease, but it is a very tiny percentage, if this is the case you may need medication to help this. At this point, don't despair, wait and see. Have you already got your appointment for the endoscopy? 

• Posted

The results of the endoscopy session should confirm whether or not your problem is coeliac disease.  If it is then, hopefully, your GP will advise on the need for supplements to make up for any deficiencies in your diet resulting from going gluten free.  If coeliac disease is ruled out then it means that it will be possible to look for other causes for your problem.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.