Feeling really unwell and rapid weight loss but all LFTs normal

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

Some of you will remember me from before when I was especially concerned about my liver / overall health due to a 25 year history of (mainly) social drinking and then my AST and GGT levels were raised in second half of 2015 due to occcasional very heavy binges.

Over the past few weeks, my health has deteriorated again: no appetite, rapid weight loss (down from over 14st to 12-a-half stone inside a month, very dry mouth and extreme thirst with frequent urination, lighter than usual stools (mid-brown rather than dark-brown) and rather messy, abdominal pain and bloating, low energy, insomnia and brain fog.  Also, I have achy joints, gums bleed easily when I brush my teeth, and many unexplained bruises, which are increasing.

However, all of the LFTs, blood count and clotting tests have been done several times and are within normal ranges.  The only thing that has happened is that the platelets are much lower than they were several months ago - around 200k compared to nearly 400k.

I am convinced I have serious liver disease, but my GPs and hospital doctors say all of the tests are normal.

What can/should I do?

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Are you still drinking?

The rapid weight loss would be down to some change in your body mechanism, and I would want to know why. Lack of appetite, is never a good sign either. Those things can happen when the liver is poorly and is not metabolising food properly and is cannibalisng your body for glycogen.

Thirst could be more to do with kidneys. Brain fog is often another sign of hepatic encephalopathy. Achy joints, if it is difficulty rising from a low chair (i.e. not a tall stool), climbing the stairs or getting out of a bath, then it sounds like proximal myopathy. Beleding easily/not clotting, is another sign of liver problems, usually down to a low platelet count. The normal range is 140 to 400, so you are still in range, but appearing to drop rapidly.

I have problems with that and my count is down to 115.

Why do I know a fair bit about the symptoms, because I went into hospital two years ago with a bleed on the brain stroke and at the same time, went jaundiced and was treated for alcohol problems relating to my internal organs and experienced a lot of these symptoms, either at the time or some time after.

If I hadn't read that your doctors had passed you okay, apart from a plummeting platelet count, I would be shouting going and have yourself checked out.

Personally, I would make an appointment with your GP, ask him to go through the results of your tests and ask him exactly what you have been tested for. Then go through all of your symptoms and ask him to explain the reason for them.

If you are still not happy, then if it is a possibility, I might go and have a private check up done.

• Posted

very good advice. and it will give some peace of mind. i pray for our health and well being, its so hard not to worry isnt it. all the very best
  • Posted

Hi, thanks for your reply.

After several months of very moderate, social drinking (which my GP did not discourage), a serious family dispute and then a major bereavement caused me to seriously binge twice in the past month.  My anti-depressant was also changed (by a psychiatrist) to aglomentine, which I know can rarely cause serious liver problems.

I had been told that my platelet count of almost 400K in September was actually a bit high and indicated dehydration.  At that point, I was bruising easily, too, and then the problem seemed to go.

It is the weight loss and complete loss of appetite that seems to affect me the most.  Faintness/dizziness does not seem to be conneted to lying-down, sitting, standing or walking - it's quite constant.

All of these symptoms have been bad since last Friday.  As I indicated, I have had repeated blood tests covering the whole range of things (liver/kidney function, full-blood count, platelets and clotting time) and been told they are all completely normal.

I am turning into a physial and mental wreck.

• Posted

The faintness - dizziness will be connected to you not eating properly.

I had it when I was in hospital, but because I had lost temporarily lost the use of my legs (from the stroke), I wasn't up walking around much, using calories.

I had appointments with an acute dietician at the hospital as an outpatient and she really took me to task over not eating.

• Posted

yes low platelets cause bruising but i can tell you that your platelets are not low. i'v had hepb and hepc and my platelets were 150 which is just in the normal range. going up to 350 so its a large amount for 200 of difference if you see what i mean. when they say its in the normal range mine was one number out of the low abnormal range. 400k is high for platelets i was covered in bruises when i had hep c especially. and took the treatment for it which was ribavarin and interferon at that time. i also had many secondary illness as well cryoglobulinemia vascullitis cellutits rhuematoid artheritis. all of which have now gone since i cleared the virus. however i still have chronic liver disease i dont know if its because i had hepb 44 years ago when i was 21 i should really be dead by now however i stopped drinking and drugs for nearly 28 years it will be in a few months. they say that if you have had hepb after 30 years it goes into fibrosis and chirrosis. im not sure which i have. i went to get my gall bladder out and it was stuck to my liver the surgeon said it was because of the hepb infection. which i had cleared. so i dont understand a lot of this. good luck anyway. please stay of the booze as you have a chance of complete reversal of your liver problems. it does sound to me as though your liver is playing up at the moment by the sounds of your symptoms which i recognise. if the liver doctors say that your liver is okay then you have to beleive them its maybe just taking its time to heal. and please do not lift one drink all you will ruin all your hard work. god bless you gav 
  • Posted

i had a look at normal platelet and i made slight mistake its even about what you said 450,000 but everything else is correct. i should have checked this first as its 9 years since i'v had hep c good luck and i pray that you will be well and fine,
  • Posted

I phoned the 'out-of-hours' GP and explained the situation to them.  The GP told me to go to hospital this evening to get tested for diabetes.

I did so, urine and blood tests were normal.  The doctor also said that liver function and other blood tests (checking kidney function, maybe?) were also normal, "which surprised" him given  what I told him.

I still feel very rough, but am relieved that I don't appear to have diabetes.  I'm not entirely convinced that the liver is fine, as I've read that liver function/blood tests can be normal even in advanced liver disease, but that wasn't the doctor's opinion.

I am due to have an endoscopy on Thursday but, in the meantime, the doctor put it all down to severe stress and anxiety.  He didn't mention alcohol wtihdrawals, but I wonder could that be part of it?  I hadn't been drinking THAT much - about ten units per day for a fortnight, with some days off.  But I guess I am 47 now ....

• Posted

definately could be alcolhol withdrawels. sometimes i smoke weed and do i get withdrawels when i stop. i can assure you im shattered. all my friend smoke it and dont suffer what i go through. some of us are very senstive to alcohol and any kind of drug and suffer severly with with drawel. i know i only have fuzzy liver function tests what ever that is but i have chronic liver disease. the liver is what detoxifys our bodies and all we eat and drink and even some creams we wear is metabolised by the liver. im 65 and an alcohlic but have not drank for over 25 years.ten units a day is a lot. and your also a very anxious person like myself. and worry and stress takes it out of us. and makes things even worse. im feelng really tired myself and keep going to bed. are you depressed as that causes tiredness as well. try and watch tv and take your mind of things for a little while as that will help you  to stop worrying, all my love i understand how you feel. i think. i feel bad myself. god bless you gav. 🙏
    • Posted

Yes, I suffer from severe anxiety, depression and insomnia anyway.  My life has been turned increasingly upside-down, starting a simple twist of fate nearly three years ago.  It's all very complicated and I feel hopeless.
    • Posted

im in the same boat gav but your still young and you cant give up. 
    • Posted

iv pm you my email address gav as we dont want to throw our private life onto a forum and you are very welcome to email me and maybe i can be of some help to you im an older woman aged 65. iv been through the mill myself and still going through it now. you are stil young and have a chance to have a decent life. im thinking about you. 💐
  • Posted

How many bruises are we talking about? Any bruising with liver disease is almost always associated with portal hypertension, which is making the spleen grow larger (splenomegaly) and its causing bruises cause your spleen is beginning to filter normal red blood cells as well as abnormal. (pretty sure) Your doctor can perscripe the proper blood pressure medication for this.
    • Posted

A low platelet count will cause bruising.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.