Feeling rubbish

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi  I’m new to this site and need some support from you guys. 

I feel absolutely hideous right now and just want it to stop. 

I was put on sertraline 6 weeks ago due to very low mood because of insomnia. The first 4 weeks at 25mg  was a god send and I slept and felt tons better. Doctor increased to 50mg as said 25 wasn’t  really doing a lot. So increase to 50. Felt ok for the first 5 days then began to feel sickly like my body didn’t need  that amount. So I took it back down to 25 ( half a tablet) and by the 5th day of doing this I started feeling so tired like I could fall asleep anywhere. I have a strange taste in mouth and feel like I’m drugged. Yesterday I just slept and last night fell asleep upright on the couch until this morning. 

I feel drugged now and  so low. 

Got a hen weekend to go to today until Sunday thankfully not to far from home. But I’m dreading it because I feel so ill. 

Why has this happened ?

I take amitriptyline also  for many years only low dose. 

I don’t no what to do I’m frightened that If I don’t take the sertraline today that I won’t sleep tonight. 

My head is wrecked wondering what’s wrong and how I can fix this. 

Does anybody have any answers please. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi its normal, its like a roller coaster till it levels out. Takes about 6 to 8 weeks, sometimes 12 weeks. Im on 100 mg, been 4 weeks now, im doing normal things, but still have some heartburn/ Stinging type side effects which I know will ease of in time..
  • Posted

Hi pretty, it's possible that you need to up your dose. I went from 50 feeling ok to 100 Just a few days ago and I'm starting to feel a lot better! Of course always check with your prescribing Dr first. 

• Posted

Hi i think you should read my story i too only just joined 12 days ago, and i poured my heart out of what was causing my depression you said you were put on this drug because you could not sleep, there must be an unlined reason why you are not sleeping, so as you said you took 25mg when i started my doctor gave me 50mg, for 3 weeks, i did feel too good so he up it to 100mg, i felt terrible but that is due to i suffer severe migraines ,and with this they went through the roof, so i went back down to 50mg, but i started feeling very depressed again so i see where your coming from, except you do not suffer migraines, the only thing i can i can help with drugs may help you and you may need to be on them longer or they may not be the right ones for you , speak to your doctor or i also believe in alternative medicine  if what is keeping you awake you can take herbal nytol they help or talking therapy, to a councillor; which i am starting to do in a few weeks, good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.