Feeling rubbish...doctors no help, what do I do?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I'm 21yr female and I feel like rubbish!

For the past 1 1/2-2yrs I have felt absolutely exhausted all the time. Some days I feel better than others. But recently it's just got almost unbearable! I can barely get out of bed, I sleep 12hrs+ sometimes needing a nap in the middle of the day too. 

Also have really achey knees, bad cramps in my calf muscles which are ridiculously painful, pins & needles in my feet/back/thumb, swollen scalloped tongue, now my fingers feel really podgy though they don't look any different. My neck is fairly tender and my glands are 'up' nearly all the time. Brittle nails & hair have developed recently, as well as odd dizzy spells where i feel like the room is spinning or I feel unsteady (not collapsed or fainted...yet). I did have glandular fever around 5 years ago. 

Went to the doctors, BP is fine, bloods say I have no thyroid/kidney/liver problems and not anaemic. Doctor says she has no idea what is wrong with me so to keep an eye of symptoms for 6 weeks and to have a check up especially if my fingers still feel podgy as it might be infectious arthritis.

I just feel awful and there doesn't seem to be anything I can do!! I've been searching and it seems to be that I have a lot of hypothyroid symptoms. I have seen bloods don't always show if hypo. Could I be hypothyroid? What can I do?

Feel like i've ran out of options here! sad

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Have a look at the website thyroid patient advocacy uk - it's a great source of information. You will need to register to get to ithe information (look undet treasure chest).
  • Posted

Pins and needles/tingling seems to be getting worse! I have had pins and needles just in my feet before but today it was up to my knee. As soon as I sit corss legged etc it starts tingling. Had some more tingling in my hands too. Had more dizzy spells too - sometimes when I'm laying down it feels like I'm on a boat! 

I can't at all afford private bloods - I'm in university which is majorly expensive as it is. This is actually the second doctor I've seen about this do I just have to keep switching until I find a doctor who actually understands what I'm going through???

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.