Feeling sick/shakey after drinking

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've noticed a few times now after having a few drinks, I go to bed and wake up in the middle of the night with bad indigestion and feeling nauseous like I need to throw up (and twice I did actually throw up). I also feel very shakey and trembling.

• It's not bc I drank too much bc it's happened after only having 1 or 2 drinks. But I'm wondering if this is related to a stomach issue or if it's just nerves? I do suffer from anxiety, and alcohol sometimes makes me feel anxious, so I wonder if it's just nerves making my stomach turn?
  • But at the same time I've also been experiencing some mild stomach cramps on and off day-to-day, I saw a gastro Dr last week and did an ultrasound (all clear) and an endoscopy (waiting for results). But even those I wonder, is it just anxiety?? Idk!!!

Help =(

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

Can you give up all alchoholic drinks for at least a week and see what happens?

• Posted

Yeah I don't drink often so this has happened like 3 times over the course of 4 months probably.

• Posted

Maybe you are getting intolerant to alcohol, do you have any other illnesses? Also do you get any rashes or face or neck redness? Do you get flu like symptoms the next day?Have you had a full blood count taken recently?

• Posted

• I've had blood drawn just recently and it all came back normal. No other symptoms, besides the nausea and vomiting, and once I throw up in the middle of the night I feel fine again.
      • I am experiencing a generalized itching for like 6 months now. It comes and goes, and seems to be worse when I focus on it. It's mostly on my hands, arms, and neck. I feel itchy and scratch and then it gets red and hives appear, like an allergic reaction. I can't fig out what's causing that either, my Dr and dermo think it could just be anxiety/stress.
    • Posted

Anything really. I always drank alcohol though with no issues, it's only been lately that I don't drink it much anymore, maybe like once every couple weeks. And I feel fine when drinking, it's only later on in the middle of the night when I wake up and feel super nauseous, even after just a couple drinks that night.

• Posted

where about in your stomach do you feel the cramps? Have you been given ppi tablets?

How long before you get your results?

• Posted

• I got the results yesterday, and everything came back normal -_-
      • The cramps started out like generalized, just all over my stomach after I ate. But lately it's whether I've eaten or not, it just comes and goes, and is on the sides of my stomach. I tried PPI tablets they didn't seem to help much, but I only took em for like 2 weeks
    • Posted

did you take them every day at the same time? Also have you tried antispasmodic tablets for IBS? They may help the cramping.

• Posted

I did take them every day at same time. Hmmm I haven't tried antispasmodic tablets. I wonder sometimes if I just have anxiety induced IBS . I've heard that's very common, and I feel like that could be why it's so come and go? Bc when I'm not anxious I'm fine, but when anxious it flares up? =/

• Posted

ask your doctor about it and if he/she can prescribe you some tablets.

• Posted

Avoid alcohol and wait for your endoscopy results; you will know more after that. Maybe you have gastritis which can be caused by anxiety and is made worse by anxiety. Try a food diary to see if a food is the culprit.

• Posted

Thanks! I was wondering if I had gastritis too, I hope the results come back soon -__-

• Posted

It is good news that nothing showed up on your endoscopy.

Maybe it is IBS since your endoscopy was normal. IBS doesn't show on scans or any other test and pain tends to move about all over the stomach and it can come and go or be constant. Sometimes eating can cause the pain or bowel habit change and other times it doesn't. Try a food diary to identify food triggers. Anxiety can trigger IBS and makes existing IBS worse. When you are calm, your symptoms disappear, but when you are anxious they come back. I have experienced this with my IBS. Ask your doctor if IBS is a possibility. You may need other tests to rule out other causes and may have to see several doctors.

• Posted

Thank you!! I do think maybe it could be anxiety induced IBS. I do struggle with anxiety issues and the come and go type symptoms always seem to be associated with my anxiety.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.