Feeling stuck 7 weeks post TAH

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, ladies.

I know from some of posts and discussions I am about same amount of weeks post op as some of you. I had TAH and BSO so all gone!

just wondered how people were feeling, recovering, if back to work. 

I have seen gradual improvement but still get really tired, trying to get back to doing most things but still getting swollen stomach, aching, pain in right groin.  I have 2 children 8 and 11 so have had to be on the go with them. Hubby has been great but he works long hours and some weekends. Wonder if expecting too much of myself then see stuff where people say 6 weeks post op and they feel wonderful. If only!! Return to work still seems a way off. I have started hrt but not feeling much benefit as yet. Having lot of headaches and the hot spells. Back is aching, joints aching, still not sleeping properly, feeling run down and low mood. Have others found it takes a while for hormones to settle? I am also hypothyroid so not sure if this surgery has upset my thyroid levels too. I feel people look at me and think I look fine so must be recovered, but I so don't feel it! My gp reviewed me last week and said oh you are 6 weeks post op so you should be ready to go back to work now! I had to explain that I may be 6 weeks post op but only just started driving again and doing hoovering and still can't do a full day of running round at full speed so no , not ready to go back yet! How are others getting on? Any feedback appreciated. 

2 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

Hi ya

I am 9 weeks post op same op but mine was a lap / vaginal surgery . I have not started HRT yet but desperate too as am the same hun , joint aching not sleeping hot flushes and I have been feeling really down. I was feeling great recovering well and went back to work phased rerun at 7 weeks - only because I was about to run out of sick pay and can't afford to be off . I have two children and my husband works long hours too. I feel as if I was at a high peak of feeling great then my energy levels plummeted. All the feeling you have are all normal , same as u I was reading how people have felt great and back to work , some people have said to me you must feel like a new woman but I don't just yet . All the pain I had pre op has gone so that good . I think we have to accept that it's going to take 12 weeks for our body's to heal and maybe long for our HRT to help with energy levels and the aches and pains . Good luck to you my dear and sending all my love . Remember your not alone xxxxxx

• Posted

Thanks for reply, yes I feel at least pre op problems sorted, but you wonder when you will start to feel normal again. Ha ha!  I was prepared that recovery would take 3 months min but just seem to have plateaued at the min. Easter hols too so no rest for the wicked! Does seem though that in a lot of people's opinion , 6 weeks is some kind of magic formula! Hope your work is going ok. I can't even imagine being in work the way I feel at present. Thanks for being in touch, take care . 
  • Posted

I totally feel your pain lovely. I was 8 wks post op last monday i had abdominal hysterectomy removed uterus cervix massive fibroid took fallopian tubes but left ovaries. I totally get your feelings i have 3 kids 6 9 and 11. My gp signed me off until end of april. My work have been excellent. I too am completely exhausted and not sleeping at night i might get 4 hours if i am lucky. My gp started me on antidepressants i felt so low. I spoke to work yesterday and even though i only work 2 days a week. They are looking at a phased return to work for me so i only do 2 mornings . Please dont feel u r alone. This site is fantastic with all the advice u get from other women . Take care lovely. Sending u a big hug. Its not easy But your health cones first . Dont run befire u can walk and no matter what your go tells u only u know how u feel xxx
    • Posted

Thanks for reply, I find the sleep problem really strange. I had 2 weeks post op when sleep was really disturbed, I had really vivid dreams every night and even when had a snooze in the day. Still just can't switch off at night, even if tired. Today had shopping delivered but still had to pack it away, took my 2 to cinema then oldest to her skating lesson, got back at 7 pm and felt exhausted. Just needed to sit on sofa to work up energy to do tea. Feel so daft that I can't do everything as normal. How have u been finding back to work. I work 2 days but I have long journey , over hour drive and then all day on my feet so not up to that yet, told if part time can't have phased return so I have told them I will need to be 100 % or as near as! before I can come back. This site has helped so much, thanks for your support all of you. Xxx
    • Posted

That is ridiculous i am part time and it is work that suggested phase return. Its not forever! I am not back until 27th April but i have to go to 2nd longterm sickness meeting next week and occupational health about my phased return to work. I work in the nhs and like u even though i only do 2 days they are very long days. I leave the house at 6 in the morning and dont come home until after 6 at night . I will let u know how it goes xxx
  • Posted

Hi.  I m now five weeks post vaginal hysterectomy and repair.  I feel really good apart from the tiredness.  Wake up tired some days.  Mentioned this to doctor at hospital visit last week and she said it can take

up to 12 weeks for the tiredness to go .

• Posted

I have been told it can take up to 6 months to feel 80% ok and  a year to feel 100% again! Glad you are feeling good at 5 weeks. I think it is like a lot of things, unless you have been through it , you don't really know what it's like and even then people can vary so much. 
  • Posted

YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!!!!!!........I am 7 weeks abdominal hysterectomy tom and kept my ovaries....I have not had a FU at the hospital but I did have a GP tele phone follow up this morning.....I thought I might get signed off for another couple of weeks but I've been signed off until   the 10th May......I work for the NHS and I will get paid but I didn't expect to be signed off for that long....my GP did say that she will never understand why people in the medical profession think tthat they will heal faster!!! She had to remind me again this is major surgery ( and were all fed up hearing that)....... I'm too uncomfortable to drive yet, the Hoover diets and laughs at me and my poor husband wants his wife back !!!!!........ I don't think I will ever feel normal again!!!! .... So I'm with you honey xxx
    • Posted

Thanks for reply, I was surprised to hear you had not had follow up at hospital . I have been signed off for another 4 weeks but I practically had to tell gp what to do! I had to explain that I had seen consultant and only just been given ok to even get back to doing day to day stuff! Let alone actually doing it all and running the house and working! The cons said there are not really any restrictions but if it causes pain or getting fatigued then doing too much, so that is my measure at the moment. I am the same and work for NHS so have to be fit to go back , work colleagues said don't come back til your ready, you will only suffer and be off again. I have been reminded so many times that it is major surgery too! This is my third week driving now and I find it easy compared to lots of other things! I.e. The basics! Just find a busy day with kids in hols is exhausting, thank goodness bank hol and hubby home. I am also wondering when will feel normal again. Lol! But I do feel bad at not being able to do all things I usually do with my 2, my oldest is ok but youngest doesn't seem to understand, probably as I just look normal to him. I just wonder if I will ever be able to do any exercise as already feel the weight increasing I'm sure, or if will be able to do the gardening or go for a long walk again! Thanks for your support and have a good Easter break. 
  • Posted

Your doctor has no idea Mumbolian! You have had a major operation. I have had ongoing problems and am still of work after four months. Each of us heal at a different pace but at six weeks i was still pottering. After a  vaginal hysterectomy some women manage to return to work but i have been told  that internal healing can take up to six months and you can feel the effects up to one year. As well as the surgery you are also dealing with surgical induced menopause and the effects of beginnning hrt. You take care x
  • Posted

Your doctor has no idea Mumbolian! You have had a major operation. I have had ongoing problems and am still of work after four months. Each of us heal at a different pace but at six weeks i was still pottering. After a  vaginal hysterectomy some women manage to return to work but i have been told  that internal healing can take up to six months and you can feel the effects up to one year. As well as the surgery you are also dealing with surgical induced menopause and the effects of beginnning hrt. You take care x
    • Posted

Thanks for reply, yes I have heard similar to you as have said in earlier replies. I would rather be pottering I think but children don't really seem to agree!! I agree as well , it's not just the surgery we are dealing with but the upheaval of all the hormones, and I am already hormonally challenged with my thyroid not working properly so I know how that one feels. I have contacted the endocrinologist today to see if I need to get thyroid levels checked too as GP not mentioned it  ( no surprise there) I haven't got a lot of pain from surgery now, only odd aches and pains and swelling if do too much, but it's more how I actually feel and general joint pain esp my knee , and the fatigue, it's a killer! Hope things settle for you , some are lucky and seem to get back to normal a lot quicker but not case for all. Xx
  • Posted

You have had a lot of replies on this discussion and the ladies are absolutely right - you are not ready to go back to work at your stage. I had my TAH end of November and went back to work beginning of March on a phased. But teaching and phased return don't really work and I've been exhausted, sore and have the joint pains you describe, still!! I kept my ovaries and think things are starting to normalise on that front but the rib, hip pain and swollen belly still going on. My phased period is over and I am now full time (thank god it's Easter). This op really puts your body through it. I have almost forgetten what it is like to get through a day pain free. I don't think I'm the exception to the rule - most women who have had abdominal hysterectomies say it can take a year. Rest for as long as you can.
    • Posted

Thanks for reply, do you work full time? Not surprised you found it tough if you are teaching! I have had another day of being busy with kids, in the end I felt so knackered , they wanted to watch tv so put film on and left them to it and crashed for hour, then had to take them to the park and my son wanted me to play badminton! Bless him. No I didn't play, he then saw some friends and played football for an hour.  At least bank hol weekend now. I think I will have to write these 2 weeks off in terms of recovery. Feel I am so tired from just doing house stuff but wish I could do bit more walking or exercise something to help my recovery. Hope work is ok for you after hols. I work in hospital so know have to be fit to go back. Happy hols! 
  • Posted

Do any of you ladies also have issues with water retention ? Am finding this too xx
    • Posted

Just feeling bloated again . First few weeks post op lost my bloaty belly and half stone too, now all bloated again but may be hrt. Just find my bowels still on a go slow, consultant said it is common problem. 
    • Posted

Yip same here hun , I was at docs today , very swollen bloated belly and bowel cramps , it get you down . One week fine the next back down again. Love to you and hopefully time will heal xxx
    • Posted

Its so reassuring to hear ladies on here feeling frustration about their bowels. Im still having problems and beginning to feel like they'll never return to normal. Im only just beginning to get properly mobile and doing more independently as Ive also been limited by having an eye operation too. Thats just cleared up so even though four months post op from my TAH I've only been driving for three days. Im hoping as I become increasingly mobile things will return to normal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.