Feeling terribley depressed days after drinking some wine on Fluoxetine

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi community 😃

Reaching out for some advice and other opinions/stories from people that may have done the same as me!

Now, I know we are not supposed to drink any alcohol while taking fluoxetine, but I have broken the rule on a few occasions as I wanted to be social and go out with my friends... something I'd missed doing and which also helps me to feel better by being around people.

I've been on 20mg for about 7 weeks now after changing over from escitalopram (which just left me fatigued for the month I was on it). A few times I have had one small beer of an evening with a friend and it didn't seem to affect me at all. My overall mood seemed to have been improving, much less negative rumination (which I think is the main cause of my depression/anxiety issues) and improved focus.

Then last weekend I drank maybe half a bottle of wine at a dinner and have felt miserable since the day after! And it's now 4 days later. Feels like I have undone the good work that the drug may have been doing.

Of course, there could be other factors at play (not just alcohol) that are making me feel like this, but I would love to hear some other people's experiences of what happened when they drank alcohol while on fluoxetine.

For now, I think I will have to avoid alcohol altogether: I deserve my mental health to be as strong as possible. Thanks in advance all!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

Bad move! Definitely not a good mix. Alcohol is a depressant, Fluo is an antidepressant, one can cancel the other out because alcohol lowers the effectiveness of the medication and makes the side effects more extreme. They both affect the production of serotonin which the meds are helping to increase. The liver is now trying to cope with both drugs and it's not very happy which is why you're feeling like s**t now. Overdoing it can cause something called Serotonin Syndrome, which is very unpleasant, and could be fatal. Saying that, I made the same mistake over Xmas. I thought I'd have a drink with my family and had about 3 shorts and a half glass of wine, felt ok, but next morning thought I was dying, which lasted for 2 days, felt a bit better day 3, took about 5 days before I felt the positive effects of the meds again! Never again! It's probably a good time to go tea total until you're off the meds, booze won't help you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.