Feeling the replacement

Posted , 8 users are following.

hi.  Had a TKR almost 4 wks ago.  Still have a long way to go.  Can't seem to get past the feeling that I can feel the new joint. I can't feel it if I touch my leg it just feels like a metal band above and below my kneecap. Anyone else experiencing this?

2 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Helen yes I have this feeling.  I spoke to my physio about it and he said that's exactly what it is and your nerves are coming back to life.  We will apparently get used to this feeling and it will feel normal!  The band feeling for me, is gradually going but it is a long way from feeling normal.  We have a prosthetic joint in our body and it's bound to feel odd, he said. X
  • Posted

You are still very early in the journey. You'll have a lot of strange sensations as all of the surgical damage is healed and blood flow is fully corrected. The tight band around the knee is one of the last things to disappear. It may ease, then return, then go away. You have an inner scar that is healing and being stretched njust like the one on the surface. Keep up the excercise, pain meds, icing, elevation, lots of rest and good hydration. Give it another 8 weeks and then you will have a little different view of the whole process. Don't be discouraged. Everyone heals differently so you can't judge your progress to the next persons. You'll find people trying to tell you about friends that are way ahead of you and all kinds of snide comments. Just shrug it of and give the standard "that's really nice. I'm happy for them", then go on about you recovery in your time. Be kind to yourself. Sleep will be difficult so rest anytimevyou have a chance, night or day
    • Posted

Ha ha I.like you old fat guy ur very accurate and wise un your replies you make me feel a lot better so ive decided you should be called oldwiseguy lol x x
    • Posted

That is so true about everyone knowing someone who is now running the London Marathon at 2 weeks post op and I'm only managing to walk down the stairs at 10 weeks!! Does make me laugh!!! 😁😁😁😁
    • Posted

Uh , I cannot imagine ever walking down the stairs normally ever again ! you give me hope thanks
    • Posted

You're welcome Dotty Lotty!! It was tough to be honest but I thought I had to at least try!!! 😤😤
  • Posted

Hi helen im 7 weeks post op and strangely enough I was saying the same thing to my hubby at tea time!!! I can't explain how it feels other than it feels like metal in my leg which of course it is lol its a weird feeling isnt it???? I suppose it may go or it may be that we get used to it??? Its like trying to operate a hinge???? Weird lol
  • Posted

Yes indeed I also thought that mine new knee had slipped out of place (sometimes I look down to mKe sure it isn't heading towards my ankle ) and mentioned it the physio

After looking at me as though I was mad showed my a diagram which pointed out that myis

• Posted

Misplaced knee (damn this thumb) was in fact a muscle ! Still feeling it but can now massage it away
  • Posted

Yes I can feel my replacement still at 10 weeks!!! Feels very strange!! Tight band feeling above and below knee cap. Feels very strange when I drive as well! 😟😟😟
  • Posted

All normal....and will be like that for some time.  Also the numbness on the outside.

Patsy

1st TKR Dec 2012 2nd TKR Sept 2014

• Posted

Thank you all so much for your reassurance.  It certainly helps to know that this is "normal". No two days have been the same and sometimes it feels like two steps forward and five back.  Being a very impatient patient certainly doesn't help.  Thanks again
  • Posted

Same feeling, Helen, & I'm just past 11 weeks. Weird tight rubber band clamp something foreign stopping my knee from being normal. It's not nearly as noticeable as it was, but some days I'm more aware of it than others. And then I think to myself, "What do you expect? You've got tendons, bone, flesh and God knows what else still healing in there, apart from a brand new bionic knee!"

Try not to worry, Helen, you're quite normal, or at least the same as the rest of us. Best of luck with your recovery,

Denise from Oz

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.