Feeling tired/drowsy on Zoloft(Sertraline)

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone!

I’ve been taking 25mg of Zoloft for about 3 1/2 weeks now. I’ve never been on an antidepressant prior to this. I’ve been feeling fatigued lately and just drowsy throughout the day. I take my pill at night around 7 and sleep pretty well through the night. I also do tend to work out on a regular basis. Has anyone else experienced being extremely tired constantly on Zoloft even after getting a decent amount of sleep?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Since you just started the Zoloft you're likely to experience temporary side-effects, like fatigue. They'll be present for up to a couple of months after you start the medication. I've been on Paxil (another SSRI medication) for over 25 years, but when I first started it fatigue and sleepiness was one of the side-effects. Give if another 6-8 weeks and see you how feel.

• Posted

Hope you don't mind me asking Phil, what dose Paxil do u take? I'm on 30 mg and feel very sleepy. Will this wear off, and you feel better. Thanks.

• Posted

Hi Pamela. I was on 20 mg/day of Paxil for a long time-many years. Recently the Psychiatrist on staff at my Therapy Center bumped it up to 30 mg/day because I was having some depression issues and she felt my body had become used to the dose at 20 mg and it wasn't helping me as much. I feel better at 30 mg/day. No major side effects (I have been on Paxil for over 25 years) from the increased dose. 

How long have you been on Paxil? You might still be going through the early side-effects period.

• Posted

Hi Phil. I have been on Paxil for about 3 weeks now, still feeling drowsy. I used to take this some time ago, but one dr put me on sertraline for a couple of weeks and another dr put me on Prozac, after.for a few weeks not giving me a chance to get into them properly. Now another dr has put me back on Paxil. So don't know where I am to tell u the truth. Did you feel nauseated with Paxil . 

• Posted

It has been so long since I started Paxil (over 25 years) that I can't really remember the specifics on my side effects, although I did have some. I remember very vivid dreams-mostly in color. I remember tingling in my face. There were some sexual side effects-it took me longer to ejaculate for example (I think my wife like this. lol). If I felt nausea I can't remember.

To be honest, I was suffering from deep depression when they first put me on Paxil, so my most memorable event was how quickly I started feeling better. Within a month I felt a great deal better, so my depression must have been largely due to Serotonin deficiency. I'm a Paxil success story?

3 weeks is not a long time, give it 5-6 more weeks and you should be over any temporary side effects. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Did your dr suggest cbt, mindfulness, yoga, meditation as coping strategies, yoga has been proven to be an effective treatment for anxiety and depression. If you google it you will see several links to PubMed articles on the subject. We are not allowed to send links on here hence not sending you one, sorry.
  • Posted

Woul have been nice if doctor suggested this seeings i have never had a problem until they put me on at least 20 different meds in less than 3 years including 10 mg of valium, atavan and xanax, now i have alot of problems and i am not on anything a dr took me off zyprexa and 10 mg of valium (YES prescribed together) cold turkey.  never felt worse and paranoid and nobody gives a crap and won't help,  now they want to do the threrapy which may have helped before and said exercise problem is now i a m afraid to go out of house and can't go to the bathroom and can't sit still  thats messed up

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.