Feeling unbalanced - help

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all, so i have had this problem staring with a real dizzyness since mid Sep/2015.  The first time I was having a drink and kind of choked which resulted in an immediate shortness of breaths.  It was at night so i went to sleep.  After that i woke up having my head spinning badly.  I went to ER.  They determined i had vertigo or something similar.  So never had a real scan or anything.  Followed up with ENT, etc nobody ordered scan.

I did not have the spinning dizzyness any loonger.  But since that day i never felt 100%.  Every day at times I do feel a slight dizzyness or light headache.  It's not bad so i am still able to go work and do normal things that i do, even play soccer and stuff.  But its never really 100% back to normal.

One thing i notice is that i usually get unbalanced when I sit down or nod my head down, like when i go under the table to grab a pen i drop.  My work requires 100% sitting down so every day i go to work when i sit down i almost immediately start to feel unbalanced.  Again its not extreme but its really bothering me.

Anyone knows what exactly is going on?  Is this some kind of ear problem? or blood pressure, or even something worse?

Thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hey there - it's hard to say what is happening with you at present - my thoughts are when you sit down do you drop your head forward ? Do you feel dizzy wobbly when you turn your head or lay down ? I had BPPV and left with MAV so I'm like that all the time and learning to cope with it - the BPPV was corrected via the Omniac chair as it was bad so the spins and vommiting has gone but still left with the headaches and staggering feeling like if I stand too long in one spot or see things flicker etc!  For some reason I feel it might be your next area as you say it's when you sit ! There will be people in is site will agree or not but we are all alike (dizzy, dizzy dizzy)! Some of us can't work as its so bad so again not sure ! I tend to think it's in the neck region! 

• Posted

Thanks Donna.  When i sit down its not necessary I drop my head forward.  I must say together with this unbalanced feeling my hands and feet are somewhat tingling or numb - very lightly though.  I dont feel much more dizzy when moving my head - its the same unbalanced feeling - but i never tried so hard like spinning my head hard - no i dare not do that...  You said the neck.... I do feel a bit of a neck tightness at the bottom/middle of the neck closer to the shoulder but i just thought thats just muscle tiredness after sitting for long?

One more thing - sometimes my unbalnced/light headache does get better with taking some Ibuprofen. But i dont take it regularly.

Btw, what's MAV?  

I hope you're doing better.

• Posted

MAV is migraine-associated vertigo. I think that may be what I have. If you have a history of migraines, that can cause silent migraines where you don't get a headache, but still get the vertigo and/or off-balance. Worth a try to ask your doctor. Feel better. (I had both dizziness and off-balance feeling). Still have the off-balance.
  • Posted

You may also need to,get your blood,pressure taken while standing, and then sitting by your GP.
  • Posted

Hi Gilliansmile yeah don't spin your head hard just sometime like front to back , right to left , ear to shoulder ! Also anything you don't understand its best you google, Google Google oh yeah youtube! knowledge  is power and you need a lot of it if it's like us old cronies on this site ! (Lol)! 
  • Posted

hey there, am searching the web for help. i had surgery on my ankle on december 31, 2020 and started feeling very unsteady around Jan 3rd, several days after surgery. its now Feb 13th and i still feel unsteady, as if I am on a boat on the ocean. i get this feeling when I am seated or standing but not lying down & still. but if i am lying & turn my head, the motion feeling happens. I assume its vertigo. how long does this last?

thanks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.